Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
bbesse
bbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with others

Device: PaperWhite WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi!
I ordered my Paperwhite from Amazon.ca!!!

At Last!!
I ordered my Paperwhite from Amazon.ca. Iwas ready to buy the Kobo Glo but Amazon came through just in time.
It should be here in Victoria by Friday according to their site.
I am hoping the have the bugs worked out.
bbesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
It's about time! PHEW.. Sure hope the screen issues are worked out, if that's what you meant by 'bugs'.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
They are available for the Netherlands now too. An international version on amazon.com. I will receive mine today. But that's still an us-version I think..
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
I just ordered mine now. I hope they don't give me some out date with with the bugs people are talking about. I have this feeling U.S is going to screw Canada ;( but shall have to wait and see.

I just got rid of my order.. reading too many negative stuff about the lighting.

Last edited by Corran006; 01-25-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Since Amazon will refund or replace with no problems, why don't you just go ahead with your order Corran006, and see for yourself what the lighting is like with your own eyes? You might find you are pleasantly surprised with how good it looks, and if not you just tell Amazon to take it back as its not good enough.

I have only seen a few models in store, and not in dark lighting conditions, but I was surprised how nice the screen looked after reading the complaints on here. The only reason I haven't upgraded is because I'm still happy enough with my Kindle 3.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
I just got rid of my order.. reading too many negative stuff about the lighting.
You must have overlooked the vastly great number from people who are happy with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You must have overlooked the vastly great number from people who are happy with it.
I almost let all the negative reviews sway me but I am so glad I didn't because this is best Kindle I've own to date!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I bought one from amazon.ca as well and I'm currently waiting for it It's supposed to arrive today. I suppose I don't have to tell you how excited I am!
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
I have been reading people played the Kindle PW lotto at least four times to get a good unit I am not sure I am willing to do that. But I will think about it.

Hype I was super excited too until I came on here and saw post after post of people commenting how the lighting was not good and had blotchy color.

l_macd, I see you saw some in the store but that makes me question how honest these units are from what is really being bought. For example most of the reviews I am sure were given great units with little or zero problems but then they send out units for sale that seems less then good.

Blossom, can you tell me if you had any issues with your screen? Is it perfect or some Minor things you are willing to ignore? The same question for HarryT

I already have a kindle keyboard so I may just wait for the next generation and hope the problem is solved but I Don't know, I may try and risk it and have to deal with all the returns if I am not happy.

Last edited by Corran006; 01-25-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Adding more content.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
No issues whatsoever with colors blotches, specks or scratches. My screen is white. Not white white but fluorescent white. Until you've seen how a frontlit eReader works it's hard to describe. It's nothing like a LCD or book light.

I have only one complaint. I wish the text was darker but all Kindles suffer from contrast issues. I own a K4S that is worse, a K3 and K4 that is great and the PW I own falls in between the two but once you turn on the light it's not really a issue. It's so easy to add custom fonts (I have 10 installed) that you can fixed that problem easily by adding a darker font.

The Paperwhite is hands down the best eReader I've own. I currently have 5.

I should mention the higher resolution is just breathtaking on the PW compare to the K3 or K4.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Another on the other side here. I think it's fair if you're hesitant to remain so. I settled with my sixth. It had the best contrast, but also the most discoloration. As a reader, is certainly doesn't invite me; it's almost a hassle. In its defense, I do enjoy the ability to add multiple fonts, and the resolution is much better.

But if a Kindle4 Black, or whatever they call it, had the same resolution and the ability to add multiple fonts easily? I'd take it in a heartbeat, and go back to using my elluminator 1 (much better than the new model!) at night.
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
l_macd, I see you saw some in the store but that makes me question how honest these units are from what is really being bought. For example most of the reviews I am sure were given great units with little or zero problems but then they send out units for sale that seems less then good.
There were a few posts on here from people saying the demo models they saw instore at Best Buy didn't look very good, so I don't think that is the case. My only point is that you are better to judge with your own eyes rather than rely on other peoples opinions, and since Amazon make the return/refund process pretty easy, if you are at all interested in getting a Paperwhite, there's nothing to lose by getting one from Amazon...... If you are that suspicious/cautious though, it's probably best not to bother! Maybe you would be as well waiting to see if the next generation of lighted e-readers has 0% chance of any screen issues. Unless something happens to my Kindle 3, I'm happy enough to wait and see what the next release brings. But if something were to happen to it, I'd be quite happy to give the current Paperwhite a chance.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-26-2013 at 08:19 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Hype I was super excited too until I came on here and saw post after post of people commenting how the lighting was not good and had blotchy color
I received mine yesterday and the display is perfect

Don't forget that people with bad displays are much more likely to come here to talk about what they got than people with good displays. That's why it may look like lighting issues are very frequent.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Woekie
Woekie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW
Bought one last week together with a friend, and both PW's are perfect (205 series).
No colour blotches, no light leaking, a beautiful even screen. Very faint gray shadows just above the leds, but that is hardly noticable and completely normal I think.

I was prepared to accept a screen with some issues, because I love the lighting so much. The one I got exceeded all my expectations and I'm hysterically happy with it.

As long as you can send back a PW that isn't up to par, I'd say try it. If you have a good one (or if you can live with some imperfections) it's a huge improvement over the K3.
Woekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Like Blossom and Woekie, my screen is perfect. I had to put a book on my k3 as a test, and was astonished at how dirty the screen looked compared to the PW, even with the K3 lighted cover turned on. I don't even have contrast issues with my PW - it looks as good or better than the K3.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote