Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you add web fiction as part of the GR reading challenge?
Yes, definitely! 3 17.65%
No, not at all. 10 58.82%
Yes, if I can find it on Goodreads 2 11.76%
Sure, I'll take the effort and add it on GR first though 0 0%
No, I think GR is only for "published" books. 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Do you include web fiction as part of your Goodreads Reading Challenge?

like the title says

you can elaborate more in your comments I really would just like to hear the general consensus. Lately, I've been reading a lot on fictionpress (original fiction) and was wondering whether this would be part of the reading challenge thingy...of course, it's too late for me now. i've read a lot and not bothered to add it to GR.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm keeping track of everything I read (or books I listen to) this year, but i don't count podcasts in the list. I would imagine that fanfic would be similiar, unless it's novel length.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm keeping track of everything I read (or books I listen to) this year, but i don't count podcasts in the list. I would imagine that fanfic would be similiar, unless it's novel length.
i suppose ;p i don't read a lot of fanfic (fanfiction.net) nowadays. it's mostly original fiction (fictionpress). but i'm curious to hear what readers of fanfic do think.

i was a little surprised that you immediately thought of web fic = fanfic though. that's quite interesting hmm... (not being sarcastic, btw).
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I guess I'm not familiar with web fic as distinct from fan fic - please enlighten me!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I guess I'm not familiar with web fic as distinct from fan fic - please enlighten me!
i guess i consider web fiction as an umbrella term for fiction published on the web i used to read tons of fanfiction (and I used to write a lot of fanfic as well) when i was younger, but i've gradually drifted to original fiction on sites like adultfanfic (they have an 'originals' section) and fictionpress and livejournal almost everywhere on the web. at least that's how i define it for myself
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
I voted yes....cuz frankly I read more online than in paper books. Not counting them would not reflect how much I actually do read. (So much so I realized I hadn't visited the library in two years...so I've now changed that, once I realized, and become regular at the library again.)

I do read mostly "fanfiction" online but I find the majority of stuff I am reading are extreme AU so they really are original fiction...just use familiar names and likenesses...I have a few sites I regularly visit, I find it hard to sort through new 'original' fiction. I need nice fairly in depth (back of the book type) summaries. I will check out this fictionpress you speak of.

If a online fiction is as long as a "regular" book (ie more than 200 pages in word) I'll count it as a book. If it's shorter I don't count it (and I read tones of these 'short stories' too.)
Kaylee Skylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
I voted no. I'm not a big fanfic reader but now and then something gets recommended to me or I try to get a better understand of some material by searching out the highest rated fanfics and see what other people got out of it. Maybe they saw something I missed.

But that's not the meal not even fast food, that's a piece of candy. I don't count it to my reading totals, to the extent that I keep count at all.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard

please guys, i'm not talking about JUST fan fiction. !

...sorry, i can't help but feel a little distressed. there are lots more under web fics than just fan fics. doesn't anyone here try reading original web fiction on sites like fictionpress? i understand there's a lot of fanfic there as well but i enjoy reading original fics there as well.

...well, nevermind. that's not the point of this thread anyway. so i was thinking if it had something to do with people's perception between fiction that's left out there on the interwebs for everyone with net access to read and published books? or am i thinking too deeply on it? one of the original fiction i recently read has been taken down by the author because she's trying to get that one published.

Last edited by wyndslash; 05-28-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
please guys, i'm not talking about JUST fan fiction. !
Can 'web-fic' be downloaded?

If it can, I could see why people don't understand your terms. I certainly wouldn't think of something I could download as 'web-fic', but as 'Indie'.

And if I can't download it, then I won't be spending much time at that site. I have to be on the computer for work most of the time, so reading for fun on the computer isn't.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Can 'web-fic' be downloaded?

If it can, I could see why people don't understand your terms. I certainly wouldn't think of something I could download as 'web-fic', but as 'Indie'.

And if I can't download it, then I won't be spending much time at that site. I have to be on the computer for work most of the time, so reading for fun on the computer isn't.
For fictionpress, there's a plug-in for Calibre (FFDL) that converts them to ebook format. There are plenty of novel length fiction available (both original and fanfic). I've read a few that are longer than Les Miserables.

I don't have a GoodReads account and I don't really feel the need to join a reading challenge so I voted no. I read what I feel like reading when I feel like it. Creating some kind of goal would probably result in me reading less rather than more. For me, it'll feel like I'm forced to read and would take away part of the fun out of reading. If I were so inclined though, I'd probably have some kind of minimum length for it to count (probably 60,000 words or something).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't do any reading challenges, but if I did, I would see no reason not to count whatever I read, regardless of its source.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
If it's catalogued on goodreads, sure. On the other hand, I've never had any trouble meeting my challenge; I usually way overshoot it. I make resolutions to read less!
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard

thanks for the responses so far sometimes I just get obsessive with counting