Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
505 frozen

I have a PRS-505 which is frozen.

The battery was allowed to run down and the screen was showing the Reader menu with a twisty circular icon in the middle of the screen, with "Loading" in the bottom of the screen. I found the wall charger, plugged it in and left it charging until the red light next to the charger port went out. (Should indicate fully charged batteries.)

I can't power the device on (or off, it's not clear what its present state is) and inserting a paper clip into the reset hole in the back of the device doesn't change anything.

Any suggestions?
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I have a PRS-505 which is frozen.

The battery was allowed to run down and the screen was showing the Reader menu with a twisty circular icon in the middle of the screen, with "Loading" in the bottom of the screen. I found the wall charger, plugged it in and left it charging until the red light next to the charger port went out. (Should indicate fully charged batteries.)

I can't power the device on (or off, it's not clear what its present state is) and inserting a paper clip into the reset hole in the back of the device doesn't change anything.

Any suggestions?
Have you tried any of the advice in this thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112522
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep -- that's where I started. When I couldn't get the Sony to respond to any of the things that the Wiki suggests, I posted a query here to see if there's any other advice anyone can offer.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Yep -- that's where I started. When I couldn't get the Sony to respond to any of the things that the Wiki suggests, I posted a query here to see if there's any other advice anyone can offer.
Ah Ok, sorry then.

Hopefully somebody more knowledgable will be along to help soon.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here are a few threads which seem like a similar issue. Perhaps one of these might help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19718
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46003
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39856
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Bookworm Girl, thanks so much. I had searched here at MobileRead but did not find these three; just a link to the Wiki. I followed the instructions in this post --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46003 <-- Hardest part was figuring out how to get the Reader to respond to the power-on switch. I had repeatedly tried to power it down or reset it and it did not respond at all. But, I decided to try the old PC trick of holding down the power button; in this case, sliding the power switch to the right and holding it there for a LONG time. When I let go of the switch, it started the "Powering Up" sequence and then I quickly plugged it into my PC and followed the instructions to delete as many files as possible. Afraid that I might lose a book that was on the device, I copied the .lrf and .epub files onto my computer. One of the .lrf files was corrupted and wouldn't copy, so I'd bet that is why the Reader was freezing during start-up.

THANKS so much for helping me recover my Reader. I'll load it back up with a couple of books and be good to go.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's good news! Glad you got it working again!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote