Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #31
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Please remember all that this is a basic computer for internet communication period. Any other use will stretch its limits drastically.
I don't think so 512MB is half of my laptop's memory. Not bad even under XP.
4GB space is enough if 1 GB is the system and the rest is for data.
If it has a CF reader than who cares how much is the built in Flash memory.

A few years ago I was working with Excel using a 600Mhz computer and Windows 2000 without any problems.

You can do a lot if you want and get the right software, but at this price it's a must have regardless of what it can do.

I need this.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #32
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
So do I. One in every room!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #33
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
I can't understand nor believe how they're selling a winxp machine for $200.

This is incredible. I hope the people behind the $100 (now $150) craptop per child project are bowing their heads in shame.

I think this thing must be using the new Intel system-on-a-chip, although I thought that wasn't coming out for a while. The 512 MB of ram is very adequate, especially since the swapfile will be stored on flash rather than hard drive! However, the size of the flash drive is a problem. 4GB is definately way too small. 8GB might be ok, i guess, but still limited. 16GB would be good, but then the device will surely cost a lot more than $200. In fact, I think the $200 model only has 2GB (it's mentioned by the inquirer). ouch.

Also, I too wish the 3 hours was more. It'd be nice if the battery life was more like a PDA's than a laptop's. The real question is how big's the charger!
The 2 not 4 GB was answered.. It will have 4GB its going to run Linux varrent with a user shell of tabs, Open Office and Firefox... Would not inflect a power/resource hungry copy of windows XP or even that joke Vista. Maybe W2k but not those... Most are think of a copy of Ubuntu.

If you want to run... UGH windows... Would better to go with the VIA/FIC unit. For 600 it has a 30 or opt 60GB hard drive max 1GB memory and maybe a faster chip. Comes with Windows Vista O_O. If you scrape that off a copy of Linux should work out verry well.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #34
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
I don't think so 512MB is half of my laptop's memory. Not bad even under XP.
4GB space is enough if 1 GB is the system and the rest is for data.
If it has a CF reader than who cares how much is the built in Flash memory.

A few years ago I was working with Excel using a 600Mhz computer and Windows 2000 without any problems.

You can do a lot if you want and get the right software, but at this price it's a must have regardless of what it can do.

I need this.

I think I saw and need to dig. But has a SD slot... If so how big can it go?

Also it does have usb ports on it so a pocket drive would be ideal.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If it has USB you can use any flash card with an adaptor.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #36
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If it has USB you can use any flash card with an adaptor.
On the left are the RJ45 & RJ11. Along with two USB..

On the right looks like a SD card slot and a VGA connector...

ADDED: And could be two more USB connectors...

Last edited by Nightwing; 06-08-2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Add on posisble 2nd pair of USB connectos...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #37
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
OMfrigginG!!! I thought I liked this new UI, but it just dumped a post that I spent the last 15 minutes working on!!!! That's the last time I click submit w/o copying what I typed to the clipboard before I click submit. Grrrrrr, it's off to bed for me before I have an aneurysm!

Last edited by Azayzel; 06-08-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #38
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Forum dropping posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
OMfrigginG!!! I thought I liked this new UI, but it just dumped a post that I spent the last 15 minutes working on!!!! That's the last time I click submit w/o copying what I typed to the clipboard before I click submit. Grrrrrr, it's off to bed for me before I have an aneurysm!
I have had this problem too. What browser are you using?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #39
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I would be quite happy to carry a spare battery for my Asus Eee. I hope it is replaceable.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #40
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Been there... whenever I suspect my response is going to be lengthy, I type it out in Notepad, then past it into a freshly-opened reply window...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #41
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I would be quite happy to carry a spare battery for my Asus Eee. I hope it is replaceable.
This brings to mind an issue: With the closing of most CompUSA and many Circuit City stores, it's going to be tricky finding a place to actually see this bad boy in person (or, for that matter, any of these UMPCs), and try it out before you buy. I've bought my last 3 PDAs that way. What a time to lose our brick-and-mortar connection!

Not that CompUSA or Circuit City was that great at trying things out... usually the demo stuff was broken or out of power...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #42
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
This brings to mind an issue: With the closing of most CompUSA and many Circuit City stores, it's going to be tricky finding a place to actually see this bad boy in person (or, for that matter, any of these UMPCs), and try it out before you buy. I've bought my last 3 PDAs that way. What a time to lose our brick-and-mortar connection!

Not that CompUSA or Circuit City was that great at trying things out... usually the demo stuff was broken or out of power...
I woulds assume Frys Electronic will stock them.. They carry both FIC and Asus stuff..

I uses to buy through Asus OEM their Terminator series of mini case computers... Wonder if I can or they still do it? If so would make it a lot less than 200.

Did a quickly mockup of a 800 x 480 screen... All I can say is.. I want one! ^_^ DPI is about 133 so that makes a screen 6" x 3.6" on the sides.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, but Fry's, wonderland of electronics that it is, has rather limited locations. I don't believe that there's a single one anywhere in Tennessee, for instance.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No Fry's in Massachusetts. We have Best Buy though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:25 AM   #45
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yeah, but Fry's, wonderland of electronics that it is, has rather limited locations. I don't believe that there's a single one anywhere in Tennessee, for instance.
That would make it a problem... Guess Amazon would be one place to try...