Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
mre15
mre15 began at the beginning.

Device: Binatone KIDZSTAR
How to get text to fit screen

I am trying to setup some cheapo Binatone Kidzstar ereaders that I got for the kids for xmas.

I done the device bits so it appears in calibre when connected and can transfer files over no problem.

However most books are stretched slightly wider than my screen so text is off the edge.

The device has a 800x480 screen.

I cant see any outout device with that resolution, but if I select a device with a smaller resolution the text is all there just a bit small for the screen.

Is there a way I can setup calibre to support this screen size.

Cheers.
mre15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved to Devices

What format are you sending?

EPUB2 text should flow to fit the screen.
Mostly, it is Images that need a Screen Size setting
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
mre15

The file is an epub format. However it does have embedded images on some pages.

As my device screen resolution doesn't match any of the default devices how do I make the books with images fit the screen.

Cheers.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre15 View Post
The file is an epub format. However it does have embedded images on some pages.

As my device screen resolution doesn't match any of the default devices how do I make the books with images fit the screen.

Cheers.
You may have more than 1 problem:

Using the Microsoft Reader profile should create images that will fit the screen (they will be slightly small, but that is better than too big)

EPUB text should flow to fit the screen. This may be a device setting or the book?

Source book Test to try in Calibre:
Open (View) THAT BOOK with calibre's viewer.
Now make the viewer window smaller by dragging the lower corner inwards.

Did the text Reflow to fit?
Yes! a normal epub
No: a <pre>set book layout OR an just an image of the page
Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
mre15

The text doesn't reflow to fit with these books. They were obtained in a kindle format and they have images inbetween paragraphs of text.

Is there any easy way to make them work correctly.

Cheers
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The text doesn't reflow to fit with these books. They were obtained in a kindle format and they have images inbetween paragraphs of text.

Is there any easy way to make them work correctly.

Cheers
Someone with AZ?? conversion experience will need to step in.
Detective mode on this book: In calibre Tap T:
Click Explode (EPUB) Book:
Open up the OEBPS folder when it shows: (the next part varies by book)
Is there an Images folder? (then open that folder also)
Is there a lot of Image files?
Open one (windows picture viewer has forward and back buttons to step through the images). Do you see pages with BOTH pictures and words? You are stuck.You have graphic book

I did try looking at Binatones web site for info
Nothing worked there, all it did was reload the same page (I use FF 25.x)
gives on a good feel about support
Old 11-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
mre15

You are correct, all files within the images folder contain the text and the images.

Is there anyway to format these to fit a different ratio screen from which they were intended ?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
You are correct, all files within the images folder contain the text and the images.

Is there anyway to format these to fit a different ratio screen from which they were intended ?
Not without (using an image editor/utility) distortion or cropping or reducing image size (which slams readability).

They are just like Photos, only wrapped in some HTML to chain them together as a book
Old 11-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
mre15

Ok Thanks for all your help.