Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
American Civil War ebooks

Chancellorsville, Stephen Sears' classic book came out in ebook today. Now two out of the four of his masterful battle books (Gettysburg, The Landscape turned Red (Antietam), The Peninsular Campaign and Chancellorsville) are available in ebook.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for that. I'll definitely put it on my "to read" list.

Have you read James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom? Definitely the best book on the (American) Civil War that I have read.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks for that. I'll definitely put it on my "to read" list.

Have you read James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom? Definitely the best book on the (American) Civil War that I have read.

Mike
Yes, I have. It's certainly a classic and a good read. I can't really say that there is any one book that I consider the "best". Shelby Foote's Civil War books (4 in all) give the best overview from the Southern point of view. McPherson's books tended more towards the Union point of view.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'd add anything written by Gary W. Gallagher or Alan Guelzo. I've spent the summer and fall reading Civil War histories and both of these authors are top notch. I do have Sears book on Gettysburg, but haven't read it yet.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'd add anything written by Gary W. Gallagher or Alan Guelzo. I've spent the summer and fall reading Civil War histories and both of these authors are top notch. I do have Sears book on Gettysburg, but haven't read it yet.
Thanks for the pointers, I'll check them out.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I read Guelzo's recent book Gettysburg: The Last Invasion. I thought it was excellent, and offered some fresh insights. Guelzo won the inagural $50,000 Guggenheim-Lehrman Military History Prize for the book.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Jeff Shaara and Michael Shaara has written some civil war books.
- Gods and Generals
- The Killer Angels
- The Last Full Measure

http://www.amazon.com/The-Civil-War-.../dp/0345433726

Gods and Generals
Jeff Daniels, Stephen Lang, Robert Duvall
Warner Home Video
http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Generals-...dp/B005NFJAYE/
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

The Killer Angels was a great book and was the basis of the movie Gettysburg.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

and I just saw that "The Landscape turned Red" (i.e. the battle of Antietam) by Stephen Sears will be coming out for the kindle the first week of Feb. I've already pre-ordered it. I would argue that this is Sears' best work.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's been 20 or 25 years since I read them. Both are excellent. I remember McPherson having a lot more analysis on the roots, causes, and consequences of the war and Foote's books being more of a straight forward narrative of what happened. Foote is an excellent writer.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #11
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
And of course, for non-fiction, Shelby Foote's superb The Civil War: A Narrative. Huge-- but marvellous. Three fat volumes, in book form, and three fat volumes in digital form too.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Currently reading James McPherson's new book "Embattled Rebel: Jefferson Davis as Commander in Chief", where he describes the difficulties Davis faced as President of the CSA. Well written, but it seems a bit short for the price http://www.amazon.com/Embattled-Rebe.../dp/1594204977. Fortunately, I was able to get it from the library .
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
At a much more basic level there is Chickamauga by Ambrose Pierce in the MR library.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Currently reading James McPherson's new book "Embattled Rebel: Jefferson Davis as Commander in Chief", where he describes the difficulties Davis faced as President of the CSA..
Talking of Jefferson Davis, I can recommend Bloody Crimes, by James Swanson. It's a "dual strand" narrative, in which the author describes the flight of Davis after the fall of Richmond, intertwined with an account of Lincoln's funeral train which took his body back to Illinois.

It's not as exciting as Swanson's Manhunt, which is about the assassination itself and the hunt for the conspirators, but it's still a good read. I doubt that, even in the USA, many people know Jefferson Davis' story, or what happened to him after the war was over.

Mike

Last edited by Mike L; 02-04-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #15
jefer
jefer began at the beginning.

Device: Naruto
The Ebook is very interesting. If possible, I want mini review.
jefer is offline   Reply With Quote