Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #61
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i am more interested in the fact that since it's both e-ink and full android 4.1, that it is the only reader that will natively handle all documents/ebook formats available to all android devices. as an e-ink ereader, it's the only one that can natively handle amazon's proprietary azw format AND the standard ePub, PDF, etc. all ios/android tablets can do this so i would not expect any less. being that it's e-ink puts it over the top as a reader for me. everything else (gps, maps, etc.) is just gravy.
Well, a rooted Nook STR/Glo can handle all of those: http://lifehacker.com/5926798/turn-y...-these-10-apps
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #62
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
For those who maybe interested in the EARL reader, a few comments from the blog.

It will not run Android 4.1. It will run Android 4.4, instead. (I think that is a positive, not a negative.)

Lots of FCC difficulties with the walkie-talkie portion. Specs have been cut back. (I don't find this surprising, I expected it...)

The rest seems to be cranking along. My personal guess, based upon what I have read, is hunting season 2014...(I'm patient.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
Meet Earl

"Earl" is an Android tablet with a 6" e-ink screen and solar cells on the back, designed to be a back-country survival tool with GPS and preloaded maps. It also is set up to read Epub, Mobi and PDF.

Further, it has a fairly decent radio in it:

The tablet has a 3000mAh battery rated for 20 hours of active use. The solar cells are supposed to recharge it in 5 hours.

Originally seen on Engadget.

Frankly, I'm interested in the thing just to have a full-fledged Android tablet with an e-ink screen.
Oh wow. This is wild! Being a radio-geek and ham radio operater since I was a kid I love this thing.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #64
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
New update for EARL:
http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

I'm curious about this line:

"PVI, E-ink's parent company, has designed a custom screen using their latest advancements just for Earl."

I wonder just what kind of custom screen we're talking about here. In either case, I'm getting more excited about this thing after every update! I don't even really care how behind schedule they are.
Hopefully they'll be delivering by mid summer this year.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #65
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
New update for EARL:

I'm curious about this line:

"PVI, E-ink's parent company, has designed a custom screen using their latest advancements just for Earl."

I wonder just what kind of custom screen we're talking about here. In either case, I'm getting more excited about this thing after every update! I don't even really care how behind schedule they are.
Hopefully they'll be delivering by mid summer this year.
I'm still expecting hunting season 2014. But I'm Ok with that...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #66
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
You know, it would make sense to me if the solar screen were hinged so that the solar panels would face the screen when closed. This would add protection to both when in rough country.

I'm trying hard to stay disciplined and not order. My won't power is fading into will power though.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #67
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
You know, it would make sense to me if the solar screen were hinged so that the solar panels would face the screen when closed. This would add protection to both when in rough country.
But then it wouldn't charge.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #68
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
That's why it would be hinged. When you want to charge, you open it up, when it's packed away, the screen & solar panel are closed and are protected.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #69
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post

I'm trying hard to stay disciplined and not order. My won't power is fading into will power though.
I know that the development team is currently working on the panel and kickstand design, so it may end up being vastly different from the original spec. I like your thought of having a hinged or even a swivel design, but a hinge is a weak point, and the EARL team is trying to make these indestructible. Only time will tell what the finished design is gonna look like.

Also, you should let that discipline lapse. Order one...join us...all the cool kids have...
Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #70
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

New Update:

Short version is, here's a list of the new "official" specs after some retooling by the EARL team:

•Android 4.4 (Kit Kat)
•6” Flexible, sunlight viewable, E-ink screen (1024x758) with front light
•Glove friendly capacitive touchscreen
• i.MX 6 DualLite 1 GHz Cortex A9 processor
•1GB ram
•16GB memory + microSD (up to 128GB)
•WiFi 802.11 B/G/N
•NFC with Android Beam
•Bluetooth 4.0
•ANT+
•AM/FM/SW/LW world radio
•2w two-way radio with 1w/0.5w low power modes
•GMRS (USA/CA): 462 + 467 MHz
•PMR446 (EU): 446 MHz
•UHF CB (AU/NZ): 477MHz
•VHF: 2m, 136-174 MHz
•UHF: 70cm, 400-480 MHz
•GPS with support for GLONASS (Russia), Galileo (EU) and Bedidou (China) locational satellite systems
•9-Axis Accelerometer/Gyroscope/Magnetometer
•Temperature, Humidity and Barometer (10cm resolution)
•Wolfson WM8960 audio codec
•Waterproof microphone and speaker, 1 watt
•Vibration alerts
•3.5mm TRRS headphone/microphone jack
•Micro USB
•Impact resistant solar panel, 22% efficiency rating
•20+ hour Li-Ion 3000mAh removable battery
•Quick Charging system with data support
•Dual quick disconnect sling connectors
•IP68 certified, Ingress Protection of dust and water up to 2 meters (6.6 feet) for up to 60 minutes
•125mm x 178mm x 15mm (24mm w/antenna)

Every time I see another update, I get more excited for this unit.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Does it come preloaded with topo maps?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #72
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Does it come preloaded with topo maps?
Yep.
(From the website): Earl comes preloaded with 100k resolution topo base maps covering the United States, Canada and Mexico. Upgrade Earl to 24k resolution topo maps on microSD for an additional $50.

I upgraded to the 24K when I ordered mine way back. I believe I recall that the upgraded maps come on a preloaded SD card, while the 100K are loaded onto EARL's memory.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Yep.
(From the website): Earl comes preloaded with 100k resolution topo base maps covering the United States, Canada and Mexico. Upgrade Earl to 24k resolution topo maps on microSD for an additional $50.

I upgraded to the 24K when I ordered mine way back. I believe I recall that the upgraded maps come on a preloaded SD card, while the 100K are loaded onto EARL's memory.
Cool - and thanks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #74
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
This is an interesting product. I built a wiki page for it for easy reference. Earl. Of course its ability to read eBooks will eventually be the focus.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #75
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This is an interesting product. I built a wiki page for it for easy reference. Earl. Of course its ability to read eBooks will eventually be the focus.

Dale
Very, very nicely done.

Tags
earl, gps