Device: PRS-505
Smile xkcd Commentary

How the world and his wife views collecting eBooks:

http://xkcd.com/625/
Arapito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I still want the complete Terry Pratchett - but not if I have to buy a Kindle! My daughter took all the hardcopies and now I have to get them from the library!
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm still hoping I can pick up the black cover editions somewhere. Pratchett is much better on paper than on e-ink, and those American mass-market covers are just wretched, but they're all I can find in Taiwan.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Pratchett is much better on paper than on e-ink
? can I ask why exactly ?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
One reason is that the footnotes probably are easier to read and also easier to follow backwards if you miss the footnote marker when reading the body text.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
One reason is that the footnotes probably are easier to read and also easier to follow backwards if you miss the footnote marker when reading the body text.
Oooh, right. Reading the, um, not fully licensed ebook versions which frankly are better and more lovingly formatted than the originals with functional bookmarks and all on the 505 it never occurred to me.

Re: the moral side of this, I have all the paper versions and I consider this format-shifting which, while possibly illegal, I do not consider immoral. Your (generic "your") views may differ, that is fine.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Personal opinion...I think almost everything is better on paper than on e-ink. Pratchett in particular is one author whose books I like to jump around in without as much linear reading. I also wish HC would use a bit brighter paper for the paperbacks, but it's still better than e-ink. The printing quality is sometimes variable, but I've not seen one yet that wasn't better than e-ink.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arapito View Post
How the world and his wife views collecting eBooks:

http://xkcd.com/625/
Collecting ebooks or doing anything else for that matter Great comic, xkcd's the best for me. Though OOTS' great too, you need to stick with the storyline to get all off it. And gapingvoid for quick blurbs of complete non-sequitur! Got the book, by the way, and was actually wondering if that book, with comics and all, would look good as an ebook.
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:58 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilman View Post
Got the book, by the way, and was actually wondering if that book, with comics and all, would look good as an ebook.
No way! Internet comics were only meant to be read one way--on paper!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I sometimes print internet comic strips into some of my classroom materials, and they seem to do alright. Better than on e-ink at any rate.

Hard to beat a good color monitor though for stuff like The Perry Bible Fellowship.