Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
I did it! I bought a Sony Touch (PRS-650).

I went back to Borders and bought a Sony Touch, in part, I must confess, just because it looked like an interesting gadget.

But now that I've read most of one book, part of another and scanned a little of some others, I've decided it was a good purchase. There are almost no paperback books in existence that will behave if you set them down and try to read without holding on. But with the eReader, I can very easy set it down and continue reading while I attend to mindless chores with my hands. Great!

Only a couple of minor complaints. I'm not used to a touch screen, so I'm forever changing the pages when I try to brush off dust on the screen. Also, it's not uncommon to get distracted for a few minutes and come back to find the screensaver activated. You can disable it entirely, but I wish I could leave it enabled but just double or triple it's timeout setting.

I find that the default text size, S, is just a bit too small, so I bump it up one to M, which is perfect. PDFs don't scale well at all, though I was warned that was the case.

I'm pleased!
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Congrats on your purchase!

I find most Epubs books are good @ small, but some require Medium for comfort. As for PDF books, I'm resigned to Medium reflowed with the occasional thrown-off formatting, blank pages, etc.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Congratulations on your new reader. Isn't a ereader the cat's meow? Love mine for sure.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Enjoy your reader!

You can disable the auto-off feature. From the Home screen:
- settings
- system management
- power management:OFF
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Good choice, Ken!

Yes, the touch screen has some peculiarities, but they are a minor distraction to a minor miracle. I love what Sony did with their commitment to a touch screen. They hit a home run on my scorecard.

The 650 is my 4th Sony ereader purchase (500, 505, 700), and I am very satisfied with what this version.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Congratulations on your purchase!

Just a FYI, my Aluratek Libre Pro has auto-page turn capability. It has a setting that allows you to set a time frame for the page to automatically advance. Very useful when you are using your hands for something else, or if a disability makes page turning tiring or difficult.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
congrats, i always find it interesting to see what others think of their new devices, glad your enjoying it ..
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
Congrats. One of my work colleagues has a Sony and it is a lovely gadget. For me, there was no other choice but a Kindle, but Sony was a very close second.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Great choice. I just ordered the PRS-950, that's my 3rd Sony. I also have a Kindle2.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
Just be careful when downloading books from the library. Sony touch does not allow both ePub and PDF library books at the same time. One shuts down the other.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
Just be careful when downloading books from the library. Sony touch does not allow both ePub and PDF library books at the same time. One shuts down the other.
I thought that's been fixed with the new 350/650/950 line? Or if I remember correctly, apparently with the 900 onwards.

(I've actually had library PDFs and EPUBs on the 350 at the same time, but I, erm, never got around to reading the PDF. Maybe I should experiment next time.)
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Enjoy!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
I've had both PDFs and epubs at the same time on my PRS 650 and switched from one to the other with no issues, reads pretty regularly.

Also, for the guys facing PDF reflow issues, have you tried the XS text size? The thing is that by default the Reader shows the entire page of a PDF when the size is S, but if you put it to XS I've found that it actually reflows the PDF and the text size is quite readable. Try it out once and you'll get what I mean.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
Also, for the guys facing PDF reflow issues, have you tried the XS text size? ... if you put it to XS I've found that it actually reflows the PDF and the text size is quite readable.
If by readable, you mean the layout is neater--yes, I've noticed that.
But nothing displayed in XS is very readable to me.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Congrats,
The irony about the screen saver is eInk devices don't need them. Somehow the manufactures feel that consumers want that features so much that we don't want to ever disable them or change their time out time. BTW there are hacks to modify the screen saver time look in the SONY forum

On an aside note, you title reminds me of the Dora song

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote