Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Maximum SD card capacity

Has anyone looked at this?

I cannot seem to find out the maximum SD capacity of the Kobo.

Normally a 2Gb SD card would be the best compromise in size and cost but 4gb is the new "minimum" size available for purchase these days.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Has anyone looked at this?

I cannot seem to find out the maximum SD capacity of the Kobo.

Normally a 2Gb SD card would be the best compromise in size and cost but 4gb is the new "minimum" size available for purchase these days.
As per Kobo, we can use up to 4GB.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
As per Kobo, we can use up to 4GB.
For what it's worth, I stuck an 8GB card in there with epubs and PDF's and it seemed to work. We just haven't tested with anything over 4GB, since the hardware folks told us that was the limit.

However, if you have enough content that you need more than a 4GB card, you may have some more difficulties since it will take a long time to process that much content with the device.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
However, if you have enough content that you need more than a 4GB card, you may have some more difficulties since it will take a long time to process that much content with the device.
Yet another reason why you shouldn't put epub files into the shortcovers database!

It can't be that hard to just grab the metadata and put it into a different database. But I know that's a pretty big revision, so I'm not expecting it any time soon.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
kram
kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Sameer,

Does the spring-loaded mechanism is the SD slot operate as a switch or is it just for removing the SD card? The reason I ask for clarification is that if you were to put a dummy SD plate in the slot to protect stuff from getting in there does the spring-loaded mechanism activate a circuit that would read the card therefore using some battery?
kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
When I visited a local computer store, the largest SD card (class 2) they had was 2GB and the ones that were 4GB or greater were SDHC.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Kobo cannot handle SDHC only SD.
Has anyone tested this?
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmantle View Post
When I visited a local computer store, the largest SD card (class 2) they had was 2GB and the ones that were 4GB or greater were SDHC.

Has anyone tested this?
There's another thread here where one of the Kobo guys said that SDHC cards are fine. I actually found an SD card at Walmart on Sunday. They are still around in some places.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmantle View Post

Has anyone tested this?
SDHC 4GB is fine.. i don't think you can find a 4GB that's NOT sdhc. 8GB seems to work but we did not officially test it.

<edit>I said 'anything seems to work' but I should have said 8GB seems to work since I didn't actually try EVERY card above 4GB known to mankind</edit>

Last edited by SameerH; 07-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
SDHC 4GB is fine.. i don't think you can find a 4GB that's NOT sdhc. Anything over that seems to work but we did not officially test it.
I don't own a Kobo. I have a Nook and a Kindle. But I am impressed that a representative of a company is assisting users of their product on this forum. I'm sure there are people from other ereader manufacturers lurking on this forum since it's probably the number one ereader website in the world. But there's no interaction with the owners of their products. Hopefully at least they make improvements to their products from what they read here.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I don't own a Kobo. I have a Nook and a Kindle. But I am impressed that a representative of a company is assisting users of their product on this forum. I'm sure there are people from other ereader manufacturers lurking on this forum since it's probably the number one ereader website in the world. But there's no interaction with the owners of their products. Hopefully at least they make improvements to their products from what they read here.

~eddie
It's how we roll.

We'll convert you soon enough ;-)
Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
And we are all happy that the kobo reps are here, helping us out and hopefully adding those improvements that we have asked for in the future updates (if possible).

I've been pretty impressed with the Kobo reps here, they are much better than most of the customer service I have had (Telstra, Bigpond, Borders, Apple........)
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
SDHC 4GB is fine.. i don't think you can find a 4GB that's NOT sdhc. 8GB seems to work but we did not officially test it.

<edit>I said 'anything seems to work' but I should have said 8GB seems to work since I didn't actually try EVERY card above 4GB known to mankind</edit>
Thanks Sameer!

I will go out and pick me up a 4Gb SD card and fill it with reading goodness....
Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
All of the big box office supply stores in my area carry 2g SD cards and I just purchased 2 from Newegg for $6.95, no shipping fees. I prefer the smaller cards and do not like massive amounts of books on my reader as it slows it down. I probably don't even really need the SD card, but thought I could organize on it..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
sabredog

Good stuff

Newegg is totally unfriendly to international buyers. Thus I would not beat that price anywhere.

Most of the local stores seem to have sold out of 2Gb SD cards so hopefully they will restock soon. Otherwise using a 4Gb card is a distinct possibility
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Well sold out means they are in demand, so let's hope they restock quickly for you and if 4gig size will work, all the better.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote