Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
mcgriff
mcgriff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Deux
To share account or not?

So the decision on what ereader to buy was made for me. My family bought a Kindle for me for my birthday. Seems like a nice device. Have not goofed around with it yet as it is charging right now. I actually glad one was bought for me as opposed to me agonizing over the decision (Kindle or Nook). Not paying for one helps too My mother loves her DX and has no doubt I will love the K2.

My question now is whether or not to sever my Kindle from her account. We can share books and subscriptions if I keep it on her account. I am wondering if there is a big downside to keeping both Kindles on the same account. Paying her for my purchases is no big deal. Only pitfall I see is not being able to retrieve the books I purchase if we want to separate our Kindles for whatever reason. Having not owned the device for more than a few hours I am not sure if there will be other considerations.

Anyways, glad to finally have a reader and look forward to putting it to use.
mcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The only big downside that I can see is that whoever you share your account with can see everything you're buying If that doesn't bother you, then godspeed!
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
mcgriff

Yes, Phillip, inquiring minds need to know.

I just ordered a skin for it as well. Went to Decalgirl and got the black woodgrain design, used coupon code GOMATTE for the non-gloss finish free (saved $5). This design seems to go all the way to the edge of the screen to maximize the perceived contrast gain. All the other designs seem to leave a slim white border next to the screen. I hope this is the case otherwise I would have ordered a different skin. Looks like I am fully charged so time to play.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
mcgriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
The only big downside that I can see is that whoever you share your account with can see everything you're buying If that doesn't bother you, then godspeed!
I already see 1-2 books on the device I want to read so I may just keep em on the same account.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
The first "disadvantage" is that you will share your books. That means everything you read your mother will be able to and vice versa. Also keep in mind that if you buy i book both of you want to read turn of the synchronisation cause you kindle will synchronize with your mothers reading locations if not turned off.

The second disadvantage will be that if you at some point want your own account you'll loose all your amazon books. But that also no big thing at the moment because right at the moment it is still possible to remove amazones DRM protection and keep a copy of every book you'll buy manually for the case you move on your "own" account.

I share an account with my wife and i really have no problem just sometimes when we both read the same book, but we found a way to deal with it by deciding who will read first
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'd recommend you keep different accounts then if a book purchase is made that you want to share -- deregister that Kindle from its own account, register it on the account that owns the book you want, send the book to the Kindle, and then degister/register the Kindle back to where it belongs.

That is what our family does and it works well.

That way we don't have to mess around with the gift cards or dividing up credit card bills. We just take turns buying the popular books on our own account and then sharing them using deregister/register.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote