Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
help please - how not to sound patronizing on world book night?

As you may know, next Tuesday April 23rd is World Book Night. I signed up to be a giver a bit idly, and anyhow selecting a book I really would have loved to give to children leaving nearby, Ernst Gombrich's A little history of the world. I ended up being selected but with an adult book, Bernhard Schlink's The reader, which I know have to give to adults, the idea being that you give it to people you don't know but suspect don't read that much.

How can I do that without sounding patronizing? At this stage my best plan is to drop the book in letterboxes late at night and leave, perhaps with a short note attached. I also dislike the idea of leaving my name on the custom made front page (book donated by...), as I live in a tiny village, and I don't want to come across as patronizing.

Any ideas very welcome!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Great idea, Paola! Why do you want to be a giver?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Maybe you can put up a few notices saying that you're giving out that book on World Book Day, and anyone interested in getting a copy should let you know beforehand. That way, they get to decide for themselves. If the point is to push them on people who don't actually want them, then I can understand your hesitation to do so.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Great idea, Paola! Why do you want to be a giver?
well, at the time it seemed like a good idea, I love the book I signed up for and thought children might enjoy it and parents not feel patronised. now I am feeling a tad embarassed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Maybe you can put up a few notices saying that you're giving out that book on World Book Day, and anyone interested in getting a copy should let you know beforehand. That way, they get to decide for themselves. If the point is to push them on people who don't actually want them, then I can understand your hesitation to do so.
Yep, the idea is to give it to people you don't know and suspect do not read, to encourage more reading, so if I were to advertise I may only get people who actually are already readers.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. The idea behind my question was that your answer to this and to the question why you would like to encourage them to read would lead into something you could say someone directly in a nice way, maybe in a park or cafe or pub.

In this special case: The book has been made into a movie. Was it shown in the cinemas in Great Britain? That could be some starting point perhaps.
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm. The idea behind my question was that your answer to this and to the question why you would like to encourage them to read would lead into something you could say someone directly in a nice way, maybe in a park or cafe or pub.

In this special case: The book has been made into a movie. Was it shown in the cinemas in Great Britain? That could be some starting point perhaps.
oops, sorry Billi now I get you. Yes I think it was made into a movie with Kate Winlset (very big here) as main protagonist, though I haven't seen it. But yes, it could be a chat up line, thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Hi! You look like a moron. Maybe this book will help you rise above your troglodyte status."

"Hi! I'm giving out this fine book in honor of World Book Night. Read and enjoy."

I would suggest something more in line with the second example.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
"Hi! You look like a moron. Maybe this book will help you rise above your troglodyte status."

"Hi! I'm giving out this fine book in honor of World Book Night. Read and enjoy."

I would suggest something more in line with the second example.

yeah, you are right, I am probably getting to overworked about this, thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
How about leaving the books anonymously at places like bus stops or restaurants? Just print out a little flyer concerning what this is about and insert it in the book, that way there's no embarrassment on behalf of the receiver or yourself. Being a social phobe, that's how I would do it lol.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Just be enthusiastic - and DON'T try to tell people why you selected them!

Good luck, and have fun yourself.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My guess is that it doesn't matter. Adults who don't read are not going to start because they are given free reading material. Concentrate on the kids.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
and make the kids books fun to read.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
paola
Wizard

thank you all: problem is, the book I have is not really a kiddie book...
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Billi
Wizard

And, do you want to tell us how it did end? Did you win a new reader? Or was it very embarressing? I hope you had some fun!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
paola
Wizard

Quote:
And, do you want to tell us how it did end? Did you win a new reader? Or was it very embarrassing? I hope you had some fun!
well, the first ten went rather well: but these were not total strangers, just some people that I had seen but did not know, or people that I know. It was easier than I thought, though, so for the other ten I decided it had to be people I did not know at all. So i did procrastinate for a while, and in the end I confess I chickened out, and put them with a note in their mailboxes!

But I think that did teach me, and I am ready for next year now