Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #961
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano42 View Post
Even if the jar is deleted, I have the "modify screen font sizes" patch in the list, I could even modify font sizes.
Did you restart your Kindle after deleting the jar file? (probably not )
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #962
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Strange thing happened.

I changed the extension from zip to jar, copied the file to the desired location and started JBpatch to restart the framework. But jb pach wont start, and after a few seconds I got an "application error" popup. I restarted the PW manually, but nothing changed, same error or Jbpatch launch. I deleted the fontsize hack, than JB patch started flawlessly.
Please send me the developer/JBPatch/work/crash.log file. Maybe there is a clue in there.

Quote:
But here the strange thing. Even if the jar is deleted, I have the "modify screen font sizes" patch in the list, I could even modify font sizes.
That's not strange at all. See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPa..._Documentation , specifically the part about directory synchronization.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #963
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
Spoiler:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[12/20/12 12:13 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

Memory usage is in a critical state. Memory used is 73,436 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[12/20/12 12:20 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

Task exceeded maximum duration of 5000 MILLISECONDS

[12/20/12 12:20 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

User interface call took longer than 5000ms.

[12/20/12 12:21 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

[12/20/12 12:21 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

Memory usage is in a critical state. Memory used is 77,340 KB

[12/20/12 12:24 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

java.lang.IllegalStateException: KOptionPane dialogs cannot be displayed when their parent or the root container is not showing.
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.tcb(abc:1 607)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.showMessa geDialog(abc:1287)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.showMessa geDialog(abc:628)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchKin dlet.initUiAfterSplash(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchKin dlet.access$200(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchKin dlet$1$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHi erarchy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHier archy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknow n Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)

[12/20/12 12:38 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

Memory usage is in a critical state. Memory used is 72,620 KB

[12/20/12 12:39 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /var/local/jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en_US.txt read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Com piled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.io.File.exists(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.JBPatchReso urce.loadOrCreateFile(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.Localizatio nResource.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.JBPatchReso urce.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI. localize(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI. init(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchKin dlet.initUiAfterSplash(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchKin dlet.access$200(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchKin dlet$1$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHi erarchy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHier archy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknow n Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)

[12/20/12 12:40 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

Memory usage is in a critical state. Memory used is 72,336 KB

[12/20/12 12:40 PM] JBPatch (v. 3.0.0)

Memory usage is in a critical state. Memory used is 74,056 KB

After I restarted the PW, (the file was deleted), I could not open jbpach again (same error), so I copied back the jar file, and then jbpach opened flawlessly. Since then all is working again...
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #964
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the log. There actually are 3 different issues - but they're most likely all caused by the same problem - namely that the device somehow screws up, becomes laggy, and possibly eventually even crashes.

This is *not* caused by the jailbreak, JBPatch, or any other mods, and can also happen on completely unmodified devices. I suspect it's because of some bug in cvm - yes, I've seen the VM crash with a core dump multiple times. Another possibility is that the device is simply extremely busy (usually right after startup) and can't cope with all the parallel tasks.

Quote:
This is the best "proof" for my theory above. In fact, the *only* thing that the Kindlet initially does is display some centered text. All other initialization is done in a background thread. And if it takes more than 5 seconds to initialize a page that only shows one line of text, then clearly there is something wrong with the framework.

BTW, here is the source code of the Kindlet, if you want to verify my claims: https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/jbpatche...java?at=master

Quote:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: KOptionPane dialogs cannot be displayed when their parent or the root container is not showing.
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.tcb(abc:1 607)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.showMessa geDialog(abc:1287)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.showMessa geDialog(abc:628)
This is also weird, because I explicitly check that the container is valid and visible *before* the initUiAfterSplash() method. But I'll check the code again, maybe there is yet another flag to check. In any case, even *trying* to display a message dialog means that something went wrong during the initialization.
Quote:
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /var/local/jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en_US.txt read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Com piled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.io.File.exists(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.JBPatchReso urce.loadOrCreateFile(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.Localizatio nResource.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.JBPatchReso urce.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI. localize(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI. init(Unknown Source)
... which indicates that the even though the (Kindlet) jailbreak was presumably applied correctly and got all required permissions, it actually didn't get those permissions.
Quote:

After I restarted the PW, (the file was deleted), I could not open jbpach again (same error), so I copied back the jar file, and then jbpach opened flawlessly. Since then all is working again...
You actually found the solution #1 for most problems: reboot the Kindle. The second part of the solution is to let it sit for a minute or two after it started up, because there is still quite some initialization going on in the background. You may have simply run out of processing power - which would explain the 'couldn't start within 5 seconds' thing, and quite possibly all the other oddities.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #965
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
I think I have a specific PW, not like the usual. First of all, I could not update to 5.3.0 only after I jailbreaked it (read more here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60#post2301060). I have about 850 books in my kindle (inherited in time from my K3), but the indexing tooked longer than from the K3.
Than this thing you mentioned, something is working in background, and takes processing power, memory and battery. I have a feeling that something consumes battery in the background too fast , even if I have my kindle in airplane mode. Is there something wrong with my specific Kindle, or am I geting paranoid?

regards

huzsolt
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #966
ixtab
(offline)

I'm only guessing, but it's most probably the indexer having problems with one or more books.

You can get your system log files by entering ";dm" in the search box - they'll be stored somewhere on the USB. You may want to take a look at them and check if there is anything unusual in there.

Of course, you can also install usbnetwork and connect directly to the device, then check things like running processes etc., or monitor the log files in realtime. That requires Linux knowledge though.

Otherwise, you could try a factory reset to see if the problem goes away, and then gradually re-add your books to see if it starts appearing again. The "good" thing about the new FW updates is that they are actually full partition images, so the procedure for uninstalling the jailbreak (see the JB thread) will always give you a "really factory fresh" Kindle.

Last edited by ixtab; 12-20-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #967
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Lightbulb PT hyphenation correction

Hello, Ixtab.

I'd like to say two things:

1. Thank you for bringing the marvelous JBPatch to Paperwhite! I've found myself slowly going back to Kindle Touch for it.

2. The Paperwhite's JBPatch was not announced. I've found it only today, and by luck, coming back specificaly to this topic. Maybe it should be more awarded so potential wanters know it exists.

By last, I've found that, in an hyphenation correction I made months ago, I've skipped some variances. In annex, there is the full correction so "quin-ze" and even non-existant words for now be correctly hyphenized. Please, add this to official patch.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: xml pt (hyphenation corrected).xml (12.3 KB, 591 views)

Last edited by Antoinekamel; 12-25-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #968
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Hello, Ixtab.

I'd like to say two things:

1. Thank you for bringing the marvelous JBPatch to Paperwhite! I've found myself slowly going back to Kindle Touch for it.

2. The Paperwhite's JBPatch was not announced. I've found it only today, and by luck, coming back specificaly to this topic. Maybe it should be more awarded so potential wanters know it exists.
Thanks! As to the announcement: well, I did announce it in this thread And as far as I can see, the news is also being spread on other forums... But yeah, just stay subscribed to this thread, that's what subscriptions are there for

Quote:

By last, I've found that, in an hyphenation correction I made months ago, I've skipped some variances. In annex, there is the full correction so "quin-ze" and even non-existant words for now be correctly hyphenized. Please, add this to official patch.

Thank you.
OK, I'll add it to the next official release - but don't ask me when that will be. Until then, people can simply overwrite the pt hyphenation file to get the new rules.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #969
ixtab
(offline)

Thank you!!!

OK, this post is totally off-topic.

I would simply like to thank every single person out there who sent a donation.

Honestly, I didn't think that I would ever receive more than 50$ in donations... and you guys really surpassed my wildest dreams!

So far, I have received over 400$ from over 30 people. Very special thanks go to the people who donated more than the "requested" 10$, and/or who donated multiple times (you know who you are - thank you, merci, dankeschön!)

Seriously, thanks a lot to all of you! It is thanks to your contributions that I was even able to buy an "early" Paperwhite and have it shipped to Europe. And it's your contributions, and your feedback, which encourage me to keep messing with the Kindles.

That said, I just realized that I now have a balance of $170 on my Paypal account, and there is no new Kindle model in sight. I will donate all of that money to a literacy project in Laos. That's not an empty promise, and it's not something that I just came up with because it's Christmas. I've been in love with Laos, and the people, ever since I've been there.

In any case, if you agree that literature (and literacy, in the first place!) is important, then please consider donating to Big Brother Mouse. These children are eager to read - but they can't, because there are no books So please: donate - in Laos, every single dollar actually does make a difference!

Last edited by ixtab; 01-02-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #970
kechuan
kechuan began at the beginning.

Device: KOA3
German hyphenation

Hi,

I am very thankful for the hyphenation patch! But the german file contains errors, for example "sch-lief". Is there an easy way to correct the file (I am no programmer)?

Regards, kechuan
kechuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #971
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kechuan View Post
Hi,

I am very thankful for the hyphenation patch! But the german file contains errors, for example "sch-lief". Is there an easy way to correct the file (I am no programmer)?

Regards, kechuan
The hyphenation uses a heuristic, i.e., for every language, there is a set of rules about how hyphenation is to be performed. There's no dictionary. So yes, it is possible that the hyphenation occasionally goes wrong. However, in most of the cases it works correctly. I'm a native german speaker myself, and while reading books in german, subjectively about 98% of the hyphenations are correct, with an occasional mistake, like the one you mentioned, here or there. Unless one introduces a full-fledged dictionary, this is an error rate that we just have to live with.

That said, it is possible to tweak the hyphenation rules - but don't ask me how. I don't really understand the format of the rules files, and I didn't find any documentation about it either.

So I guess we'll just have to live with a few errors here and there. It's still far better than what the stock software offers.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #972
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
First of all, Many thanks for porting JBPatch over to the Paperwhite. I mainly use one patch - the font size one - which makes a major difference in reading quality.
However, I am also having an issue with it. The Latin/English fonts and characters work exactly as expected once the font sizes are set in the patch preferences. I am using JBPatch in tandem with the USE_ALT_FONTS hack, and the custom fonts work perfectly in Latin and English, with "live" changes without the need of a UI restart.
Things are different with Arabic/Persian fonts. The characters are displayed correctly, but the font sizes are very difficult to configure properly and almost always alternate between a very small size and a very large one, neither of which correspond to the "extremes" configures in the JBPatch preferences. It is almost never possible to have fonts displayed at one of the intermediate steps of the aA menu - one selects them, restarts the UI, and nothing happens. Could anyone please offer advice on what might be causing this problem?
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #973
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The font files your using maybe?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #974
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Some of the custom fonts I use do something similar. They display a lot smaller than the fonts that came with PW. I adjusted the sizes in JBPatch to include some larger values.

Try to find the size that works for you by using every possible size: e.g. try out first sizes 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 - then change it to cover the next 8 sizes, until you got all the way to 37. Each time the framework needs restarted for the new sizes to be active.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #975
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The font files your using maybe?
I thought so too, but I then tried with fonts such as Times New Roman, which work flawlessly when applied to Latin text and then fall short on the Arabic/Persian script.
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks