Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
DPella
DPella began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Anyone try Scrivener

My wife found what appears to be an all-n-1 WP, formatter & converter named Scrivener that outputs to EPUB & mobi and I think she said KF8 too. Anyone try it yet & whaddaya think?

Last edited by DPella; 02-24-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
DPella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPella View Post
My wife found what appears to be an all-n-1 WP, formatter & converter named Scrivener that outputs to EPUB & mobi and I think she said KF8 too. Anyone try it yet & whaddaya think?
Funnily enough I was just on their site an hour ago looking at the product write up and wondering the same thing. No help to you, I know, but I'll add my voice to the request for feedback .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I use it. I like it, but with caveats to follow.

I really like it as a writing tool. I never thought I'd give up Word, but once you get used to Scrivener (took me about a week), it's a lovely tool. I like being able to use the corkboard to put notes on a chapter. I like being able to easily insert placeholder chapters in the side-outline tool. I like being able to see the whole novel at a glance.

I like having side areas for character bios. I LOVE being able to highlight something I've just typed about Aimee's Mother's Favorite Pizza Topping and right-click and have an option there that says "Copy To --> Aimee's Parents Bio". Sooooo convenient for a writing tool.

The tool isn't perfect; it still feels rough around the edges when it comes to text formatting and paragraph options, but the development team seems willing to grow.

Now. Exporting. Trickier.

The Scrivener to Word export is clean enough that that is what I sent off to my editor (who works in Word). The Scrivener to ePUB export... is cleanish. I still had to spend several hours tweaking things in Sigil to make it perfect. BUT! That is MUCH LESS time than I would have had to spend if I'd been writing in Word. So my two-cents is that Scrivener --> ePUB --> Sigil --> ePUB is the best process for me.

As for the mobi, I would recommend cleaning things up in Sigil for the ePUB and then using Calibre to convert the ePUB to mobi. As long as you turn the automatic chapter breaks off (that gave me some trouble), the Calibre conversion is remarkably clean when the starting ePUB is spotless. In my experience.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
We have some threads on Scrivener you might wish to look through.

Just do a search on......Scrivener.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
We have some threads on Scrivener you might wish to look through.

Just do a search on......Scrivener.

Don
(Moderator)
Now why didn't I think of that, instead of jumping on the band-wagon ?
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
'Cos band wagons is fun.... ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!

I've d/l the 30 day trial, and am going to have a play .
Old 02-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've d/l the 30 day trial, and am going to have a play .
I did too. Just installed it a few minutes ago.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I did too. Just installed it a few minutes ago.
Unfortunately, that was the easy bit. Now I've got to think of what to put into it!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that was the easy bit. Now I've got to think of what to put into it!
Heh, yes, there's always that. I have an idea. Don't know if it's a good one, or how far I'll get, but it's a start.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
If anyone participated in NaNo, there was a coupon at the end for Scrivener.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Christa and Orlok, please note that your 30 days are for use, not calendar consecutive days. So in my case I'm getting quite a bit of time for my trial period.

I am learning things slowly, but so far I really like being able to write down my notes into a rearrangeable outline.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Christa and Orlok, please note that your 30 days are for use, not calendar consecutive days. So in my case I'm getting quite a bit of time for my trial period.
Thanks, that's worth knowing. I was worried I wasn't going to have time to properly evaluate.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

I am learning things slowly, but so far I really like being able to write down my notes into a rearrangeable outline.
Quote:
Thanks, that's worth knowing. I was worried I wasn't going to have time to properly evaluate.
Yes, good info. I haven't even started the program yet.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
It's a wonderful program for writing, and I've written several books using it. The full screen option is great as well. It's a program that proves to have more and more hidden depths the more you use it; it appears very simple on the surface, but is very complex the more you dig down and use it. The author David Hewson (I think?) has written an ebook guide to using Scrivener which I understand is very indepth and well-received.

Mob, Epub - I use it to output mobi files for Brain in a Jar Books, and I check them first on Kindle Previewer and then on my Kindle. I'd have to say I find what I get to be perfectly formatted from the get-go, but I guess it depends on what kind of ebook you're outputting.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote