Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
brophs
brophs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
A few questions about using Calibre with a Sony PRS-650

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum having only discovered this fantastic bit of software recently. I did a search on this but I'm not sure it has been answered. Apologies if so.

I have a number of books by the same authors which I want to group together. As an example I have a collection of Michael Connelly novels which I have exported to the reader with their various series names and respective numbers. That works perfectly.

But I would also like a way of organising all of his books in the order they were published, so I can read them in the correct order. I tried doing this by adding a tag 'Michael Connelly', sorting them in the right order and then sending them to the device. Unfortunately the collection is in alphabetical order on my reader even when I choose sort by 'Added Order' on the reader. It seems that collections created by tags do not stay in the order they are transferred?

So what I'm wondering is whether there's a way to add multiple series for one book? So that his books will belong to both their own series and also a series called 'Michael Connelly' which would be numbered according to their dates published. Eg "Angels Flight", his eighth book and the sixth in the Harry Bosch series, would be Book 6 in the "Harry Bosch" series and Book 8 in the Michael Connelly series).

Alternatively is there a way I can order the books on the reader the way I want them (I have already tried re-ordering them using the Sony Software but the order is reset every time I add a book to the device using Calibre).

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Brophs
brophs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brophs View Post
So what I'm wondering is whether there's a way to add multiple series for one book? So that his books will belong to both their own series and also a series called 'Michael Connelly' which would be numbered according to their dates published. Eg "Angels Flight", his eighth book and the sixth in the Harry Bosch series, would be Book 6 in the "Harry Bosch" series and Book 8 in the Michael Connelly series).
The idea of reading books by an author, that are not in a series, in some sort of magical Published order is very strange to me. But if this is what you want you can create a series type custom column, call it Author_series, Then put your desired series info in this column

Michael Connelly [1]
Michael Connelly [2]
Michael Connelly [3]
etc.

Or using the year.month as the series info

Michael Connelly [1988.01]
Michael Connelly [1988.10]
Michael Connelly [1990.03]
etc.

Now go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin - Sony and customize the plugin and add your new column to the line that creates collections (see attached) on your reader. Now when you send books to your reader Collections for both standard series and your custom series will be added with the books in the order you set them to in the library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_plugin.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	74977  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I made a custom column for Author. It is a series like column. So I change the device plug in to NOT create collections from the built in Author column.

THis way I can number each book in any order I want, and have them show up under Author in that order.

Some authors I do it in published order. Others (like Micahel Connelly) I put them in series order, and put the series in some order. So I have all the Harry Bosch in order, then all the Lincoln Lawyer ...

Although, I am thinking about changing and having the series books only show up under their series, and then put only those books that are stand along under the Author name.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote