Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #31
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
can't wait to play sudoku, crossword puzzle on nookcolor with my partner on flight.

maybe solitaire and other card games too ?

$250 for 7" touchscreen IPS panel is pretty darn impressive
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #32
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
oh yeah my Droid X can turn into a mobile hotspot. yeah

Yeah. That is the way I thought it ought to be. People have a 3G phone that can create hot spots do not need WiFi.

One of the reasons that I am so disappointed in the Samsung Galaxy tablet is they put in a lot of extra bells and whistles (3G, dual cameras, GPS, etc) that I don't need and at a price that is even more outrageous than the iPad. A lot of my friends and I have been waiting for a nice and reasonably priced Android tablet. After 1/2 year from the debut of iPad, all we get is either some low end under power crap or this ridicously priced Galaxy tablet which is to be sold as a PHONE with a tethered data plan

The Nook Color is a breath of fresh air among all these android tablet chaos and I can't believe it is a book company that seems to get it.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #33
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Yeah. That is the way I thought it ought to be. People have a 3G phone that can create hot spots do not need WiFi.

One of the reasons that I am so disappointed in the Samsung Galaxy tablet is they put in a lot of extra bells and whistles (3G, dual cameras, GPS, etc) that I don't need and at a price that is even more outrageous than the iPad. A lot of my friends and I have been waiting for a nice and reasonably priced Android tablet. After 1/2 year from the debut of iPad, all we get is either some low end under power crap or this ridicously priced Galaxy tablet which is to be sold as a PHONE with a tethered data plan

The Nook Color is a breath of fresh air among all these android tablet chaos and I can't believe it is a book company that seems to get it.
I couldn't agree more. And honestly, I think this is a strong sentiment in various tech communities. After the initial shock and once the details of the specs came out, a lot of people are wondering just what in the heck is Samsung doing?

Everything doesn't have to be super high end and crammed to the max with stuff.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:58 AM   #34
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Yup. The right price/performance. Only thing B&N got wrong was no standard marketplace - but if it does well enough, maybe we'll get most apps ported to B&N. And for me, I'll just hack the marketplace onto it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #35
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Yup. The right price/performance. Only thing B&N got wrong was no standard marketplace - but if it does well enough, maybe we'll get most apps ported to B&N. And for me, I'll just hack the marketplace onto it.
Not B&N's fault, no Android device is allowed access to the standard market unless it supports 3G, so they have no choice but to run their own.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #36
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:

Samsung Galaxy Tab is sold unlocked in Germany. From what I've seen, only the US seems to have a tethered data plan.
Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with my Galaxy Tab. Didn't touch my iPad since I've got iPhone4, simply too bulky and heavy. Didn't touch iPhone4 since Dell Streak and Galaxy Tab.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #37
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Samsung Galaxy Tab is sold unlocked in Germany. From what I've seen, only the US seems to have a tethered data plan.
Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with my Galaxy Tab. Didn't touch my iPad since I've got iPhone4, simply too bulky and heavy. Didn't touch iPhone4 since Dell Streak and Galaxy Tab.
How does the Galaxy work as a reader? Does it handle PDFs well?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
the US market is going to cripple the Galaxy S Tab with it's idiotic pricing through the carriers.

Too bad by all accounts, besides the size diff. this seem to be a much better overall product than the iPad.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #39
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
This has the chops to be the stealth Android tablet that will be hacked in seconds.

I doubt that they will be able to keep up with the demand.
Hacked in seconds by the 1% or less of consumers willing and able to hack electronics. The general public, which actually determines whether is a hit or not, just doesn't like modifying devices. Even here at MR, where we do like hacking things, the percentage of people actually jailbreaking their nooks or Kindles doesn't seem to be that high.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #40
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Hacked in seconds by the 1% or less of consumers willing and able to hack electronics. The general public, which actually determines whether is a hit or not, just doesn't like modifying devices. Even here at MR, where we do like hacking things, the percentage of people actually jailbreaking their nooks or Kindles doesn't seem to be that high.
Interesting. Over the last couple of years, I have found less reasons to hack my devices. For example, I softrooted my first Nook when I first got it last March. I used it like that for a few days and then reverted to the stock software. Why? Because I thought the stock firmware had less functionality but was more polished, meaning it was cohesive in look and feel.

I have an iPhone which I jailbroke when I first got it. However, I reverted back to stock because, well, it didn't add any functionality I needed. Tethering was OK but I have an aircard so it didn't add anything for me.

Now, I am an IT architect by trade. I design systems for large groups of users for a living. I think that affects my enjoyment of the results of my hacking. When I hack into something, I want the added functionality to fall within the same framework as the original.

I explain it like this: if you are making an addition to your house, you want it to look like it was always part of the house. You wouldn't want to add a Victorian wing to a 1960's ranch house, I don't think. That's the way I feel about hacking and probably why I reverted the softroot.

Having said that, I am an avid user and supporter of Linux.

Last edited by lionel47; 10-29-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #41
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/g...#disqus_thread

Ok. This is more like it. The Galaxy tab finally has a WiFi model. Rumor is it'll be priced at $499 at Best Buy.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/g...#disqus_thread

Ok. This is more like it. The Galaxy tab finally has a WiFi model. Rumor is it'll be priced at $499 at Best Buy.
$500 Galaxy Tab or a $250 Nook Color?

Have to go with NC. GT isn't worth twice as much.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #43
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeses View Post
I kinda resent that comment. Before I buy anything, I research and it. I know there are gazillions of tablets out there and frankly, I don't want one. I want a color ereader and if I have to deal LCD before mirasol comes out...oh well...
Why resent it? I'd buy a Nook Color and I know about the bazillon tablets, too. But I also know I'm not typical.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #44
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Nook Color price is too good to be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
$500 Galaxy Tab or a $250 Nook Color?

Have to go with NC. GT isn't worth twice as much.
I agree. The Nook Color price is too good to be true!
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #45
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Not B&N's fault, no Android device is allowed access to the standard market unless it supports 3G, so they have no choice but to run their own.
This was true of Android 1.6, but is not true of 2.1+

Quote:
8.13. Telephony
Android 2.1 MAY be used on devices that do not include telephony hardware.
From http://static.googleusercontent.com/...id-2.1-cdd.pdf
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote