Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Flypoppa
Flypoppa began at the beginning.

Device: Nintendo DSL. G3 Kindle
Ordered a Kindle today.

Well thanks to what I have been reading on these threads, I have placed my order for a Kindle with 3G today.
Two or three weeks to wait. I went for the 1st class post, as I have also read not good things about the 'Supersaver' and HDNL.
So for now I will continue using my Nintendo DSL as my ebook reader.
Flypoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, flypoppa.

Lots to learn here, and did you get the lighted cover? It works great.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
OK - so tell us: What are the first five or so book titles you want to experience on your new Kindle???
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
Are you not in US? I did overnight and they got it to me on Friday.

Before my DX (which I returned), I started downloading to my computer via Kindle for PC. It's supposedly a good practice to do this, in case they ever censor a book again, because they can't delete if from your computer. Having said that, they just had a problem with a book yesterday, and requested that people delete it themselves--they didn't do it via wireless. That's a good sign that they learn from their mistakes.

Anyway, I recommend downloading to the PC and getting a feel for Kindle. It's kinda fun.

Good luck!
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
Flypoppa

I am in the UK and they are on back order, and Amazon say that 2-3 weeks is the delivery time.
I did not order a case yet and I do not intend to pay £45 for the one with the light.
I can get a suitable case from Hong Kong for about £10 and if I need a light for night reading I already have an LED device that will clip on to the case or the kindle.
I expect that the need for a light means that there is no back light on the kindle?

As for what books I might put on it... Well I still have a few Clive Cussler that I have to read and others, plus a disk full of classics.
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
parafluie
Enthusiast

Hi Fly! WOW, that's a long time. You are correct--no backlight. The Kindlemaniacs I know are totally against backlight. I'm new to this, so I haven't determined what's best for me.

As you search for a good case, please be on the lookout for one with straps on the back or on the spine. I'm looking for one that will hold my fingers, helping me to more easily hold the eReader without my thumb. Similar to a choir folder (only I want it cross shaped like a gift ribbon, so I can hold portrait or landscape).'

Have fun downloading.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Flypoppa

As I said there are cases on Ebay for about £10. I don't know about a strap on the back, I don't suppose they have this feature.
That does sound like a good idea though. Thinking about it, I recon if I needed it I could come up with something that I could make.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
parafluie
Enthusiast

I'm thinking too. A literal ribbon around is great, but obscures the screen hahah.
Have a great day!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
A friend ordered one in the UK about a month ago (wireless). He's being given a delivery estimate of 27th September! Hopefully they'll have caught up a bit by the time you get yours.

It's great that Amazon decided to release properly in the UK this time. It is somewhat irksome that in the US you can just walk to Best Buy and get one that day, whereas UK customers are still potentially waiting more than a month to get one.

Their 'first come first served' seems to have fallen apart a bit, too, looking at people's reports of when they're arriving.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yikes. That is a long wait. If you come and visit the States before that you can buy one at Target.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Their 'first come first served' seems to have fallen apart a bit, too, looking at people's reports of when they're arriving.
While I feel sorry for everyone affected, it's a good news. It gives hope for the rest of us who have woken up a little too late to the party.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I do have to wonder about these long shipping and production delays. It doesn't seem to be a blatant ploy to keep volume low so demand stays high like you see with the iPhone or Nintendo Wii. Could they have really just made a mistake with how many orders? The whole thing has me puzzled.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yikes. That is a long wait. If you come and visit the States before that you can buy one at Target.
I know, that sucks. I ordered on 11th to Australia and the website said shipping by the 20th. Now it is the 27th. Yet in the States you can walk into Target and buy off the shelf or get it delivered overnight. Weird thing is, I am going to be in the States at the end of October, maybe I should buy some and ship em back myself!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote