Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
gandalfbp
gandalfbp began at the beginning.

Accented characters on PRS-505

Hi,

congrat for Calibre, Kovid, wonderfull work! I try to convert some of ma Hungarian RTF's to ePub or to LRF to read on my Sony, but all the accented chars are either replaced by a question mark (ePub) or vanishing completly (LRF). The strange thing is that on the PC it looks OK, if I view it via Calibre. It shows wrongly only on the Reader.
On the other hand, if I transfer the original RTF, it is readeable. How can I define how to transalate these "strange" Hungarian chars?
I am thniking on buying ab other reader. How fonts are implemented on Kindle? Is there a reader what doesn't have this fault?

Peter
gandalfbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalfbp View Post
Hi,

congrat for Calibre, Kovid, wonderfull work! I try to convert some of ma Hungarian RTF's to ePub or to LRF to read on my Sony, but all the accented chars are either replaced by a question mark (ePub) or vanishing completly (LRF). The strange thing is that on the PC it looks OK, if I view it via Calibre. It shows wrongly only on the Reader.
On the other hand, if I transfer the original RTF, it is readeable. How can I define how to transalate these "strange" Hungarian chars?
I am thniking on buying ab other reader. How fonts are implemented on Kindle? Is there a reader what doesn't have this fault?

Peter
I'm probably not the only person here who does not know what 'strange Hungarian characters' look like. Can you post an rtf and the epub so that we can have a look?
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
ON The 505, unless you use hacks, many languages do not work perfectly well in LRF, or Epub... You Can read in any language in PDF format. I have read several book in Russian on my 505 in PDF format..... also...Read news articles in Japanese...in PDF format...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #4
gandalfbp
gandalfbp began at the beginning.

Hi,

I included the 3 files (rtf, lrf, and ePub) into the zip. I looked with the Sony Reader Library, the lrf shows spaces, the ePub shows questions marks instead of accented chars.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tolem.zip (28.9 KB, 273 views)
gandalfbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sony can display Hungarian characters but you need to do some additional work.

Here is the step by step conversion guide.

1. Start your calibre and add your rtf file as new book
2. Select the book in the list of the existing books and click on convert books
3. Click on the Look & Feel icon and set it up as shown in the screenshot

4. Click OK

That should produce working epub sample
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	second2.png
Views:	288
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	50060  
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote