Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #46
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If you can actually download movies to the Kindle Fire and not just stream them, that's the winner. Sorry, Netflix is great, but ideally I want to download a movie if I'm traveling by car, boat, plane, train. You can't download movies to the NOOK. You could if you had access to the Android Market.
me too... it used to be you could download video just about everywhere but now days everyones switched to streaming... the problem with that is not everyone has high speed internet everywhere and alot use wifi. im praying that the nook color downloads and not just stream movies
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #47
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
me too... it used to be you could download video just about everywhere but now days everyones switched to streaming... the problem with that is not everyone has high speed internet everywhere and alot use wifi. im praying that the nook color downloads and not just stream movies
That goes back to your first point. Even if you could download the movies, where are you going to download from?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #48
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Are they going to ship internationally? Of course not. Looking at the Kobo it doesn't seem to be a matter of size, more like a general unwillingness to deal with 'em foreigners. Ah, well.
The Bookseller says B&N will expand internationally in 4 months. Whether it's true or not ...

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/ba...ok-launch.html
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #49
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
As a Nook user/supporter, I'm less and less inclined to post at MR. I still lurk, which is still giving the site some hits, but I don't feel like the hassle of always defending my device against more vocal users of other devices. Just glancing at all of the comments in this thread, it's obvious other Nook users feel the same way.

That being said, I won't be upgrading to the new Nook Tablet because the upgrade isn't significant enough over my color. Also, I would rather eat glass than to use a STR over the classic eink Nook. So if my Nook died tomorrow, it would be replaced with another Nook Classic.
There. Now you know one person who would still buy it.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #50
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
As a Nook user/supporter, I'm less and less inclined to post at MR. I still lurk, which is still giving the site some hits, but I don't feel like the hassle of always defending my device against more vocal users of other devices. Just glancing at all of the comments in this thread, it's obvious other Nook users feel the same way.

That being said, I won't be upgrading to the new Nook Tablet because the upgrade isn't significant enough over my color. Also, I would rather eat glass than to use a STR over the classic eink Nook. So if my Nook died tomorrow, it would be replaced with another Nook Classic.
There. Now you know one person who would still buy it.
Why do you prefer the Nook Classic over the Simple Touch? Is it just a preference for non-touch?
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #51
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Probably almost every Nook owner will check it out and there should be plenty of posts on what we find. I expect it will make the refresh faster, although it already is fast enough to stay out of the way. What I wonder is whether they will support more of ePub's capabilities or actually move on to ePub3.
BestText.... I love how our marketing department loves to brand/trademark everything.

We did a lot of work in the 1.1 update replacing the font rendering engine, in favor of one that is tuned (along with the fonts) for an eInk display. The crisper looking text is in large part because we are making sure that stems are pixel boundary aligned wherever possible. I've been very happy with the results, especially at the smaller font sizes (but I'm extremely biased).

For the EPUB3, not yet on the Touch. On Color/Tablet, not really either, however we are working on getting the fixed-format solutions (comics/magazines) included as part of an EPUB3 update. The more interactive bits of EPUB3 are lagging a bit in a morass of lack of the CreationTools/Reader swirl, but we are working on breaking that.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #52
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Why do you prefer the Nook Classic over the Simple Touch? Is it just a preference for non-touch?
Form factor. I find the STR very awkward to hold and it looks like it needs to go on a diet. Also, I'm the odd duck who likes the lcd screen.

I do read on my NC, but I don't like that anytime I accidentally touch the screen, I run the risk of activating it and turning a page or whatever. There have been many times I've fallen asleep reading and found that I've ended up on an entirely different chapter than where I left off.

So yes, the all touch screen bothers me too. For eink devices, I prefer physical buttons or a panel strictly for navigating.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #53
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Form factor. I find the STR very awkward to hold and it looks like it needs to go on a diet. Also, I'm the odd duck who likes the lcd screen.

I do read on my NC, but I don't like that anytime I accidentally touch the screen, I run the risk of activating it and turning a page or whatever. There have been many times I've fallen asleep reading and found that I've ended up on an entirely different chapter than where I left off.

So yes, the all touch screen bothers me too. For eink devices, I prefer physical buttons or a panel strictly for navigating.
The Nook STR does look like it needs to go on a diet.. it's cute but not sleek! I do like that it has page turn buttons and touch, which is really handy for looking up words or making annotations and such. I just hear reports of the buttons being stiff, which is a pity. They take up so much space and yet end up being not very functional..?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #54
MsCG1
Zealot

Quote:
The Nook STR does look like it needs to go on a diet.. it's cute but not sleek! I do like that it has page turn buttons and touch, which is really handy for looking up words or making annotations and such. I just hear reports of the buttons being stiff, which is a pity. They take up so much space and yet end up being not very functional..?
The buttons on my original Nook were also very stiff, and I used to cringe when I hit the button because I was scared it would crack--which as we all know was a huge issue for BN (maybe a reason so many sat there unsold? Bad word of mouth?)
But after a lot of use, the buttons became softer and easier to push, so I assume the STR is the same way?

I wish the STR had a similar form factor to the original Nook and Nookcolor. It looks so out of place in the "Nook" family. Like the homely relative in a family full of sexy.

Regardless, I'll probably only buy refurbished units from here on out and try to avoid touchscreen eink for as long as I can. Sony and Nook, I prefer.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #55
seajewel
Fanatic

Quote:
<snipped>

Regardless, I'll probably only buy refurbished units from here on out and try to avoid touchscreen eink for as long as I can. Sony and Nook, I prefer.
But sony's been firmly in the touchscreen camp for years. I love my 505, but I wouldn't mind something a little lighter with touchscreen (and with physical page turn buttons). the Nook STR has so much potential still.. I may pick one up at the $99 price.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #56
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Apparently you can get a software update for your current Nook STR and take advantage of "Best Text." So who is going to try that out and report back???

eP
I'll do it, gimme a few minutes.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #57
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, I plan on upgrading to the NC2. Well worth the extra $50 over the Fire.
Agreed.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #58
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
My page turn buttons on my STR are not stiff. I have to wonder though, even if some have buttons that are stiff, are we really talking about all that much pressure needing to be applied or are some people just looking for something to ding the device over? Eh, maybe, maybe not.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #59
Grimm
DRM killer

9 hours of video and 11.5 reading on a single charge? Not bad at all.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #60
Grimm
DRM killer

Free in-store support is a nice touch, provided the in-store tech has a clue what he/she is doing.