Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Sigil Appearance

Hi,

I run Sigil on an Apple Mac Pro and an Apple MacBook Air. On the MBA everything looks great, but all files opened in Sigil on the Mac Pro are displayed in an italic font.

The books display normally on the iPad and my PRS-350, so it's an appearance issue only.

Has anybody come across this before?

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil1.png
Views:	274
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	70962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil2.png
Views:	247
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	70963  
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
Hi,

I run Sigil on an Apple Mac Pro and an Apple MacBook Air. On the MBA everything looks great, but all files opened in Sigil on the Mac Pro are displayed in an italic font.

The books display normally on the iPad and my PRS-350, so it's an appearance issue only.

Has anybody come across this before?

Chris
In cases such as this I have usually found a missing or garbled end tag (</?>) just before the start of the problem.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

The screen font is different on the two computers for all epubs, so I'm not sure it can be a garbled tag in the epub file, if that's what you're suggesting.

Or have I misunderstood?

Chris
Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

The screen font is different on the two computers for all epubs, so I'm not sure it can be a garbled tag in the epub file, if that's what you're suggesting.

Or have I misunderstood?

Chris
Are you sure you are running the same version of Sigil on both computers?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
chrisparker
Connoisseur

Yes, 0.4.0 beta something.

But I noticed this when I was running 0.3.4 as well...

I wonder if it's anything to do with the fonts I've installed on the different machines?

Chris
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You probably have Tidy turned on on one machine and off on the other one.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
chrisparker
Connoisseur

Thanks, I'll try that at the end of the week when I get home.

Chris
Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
chrisparker
Connoisseur

No, that wasn't it. Tidy is turned on on both machines...
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
No, that wasn't it. Tidy is turned on on both machines...
Then I'm fresh out of ideas. Sorry.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd hypothesise that the machines do not have identical sets of sytem fonts.
sigil is using the closest available match (within the PCs font sets) for the font it wants to use in book view & that closest match on one machine happens to be italic.

knowing the name of sigil's preferred font would speed up the comparison but I never did find out what it defaults to . all I know is that it defaults to somehing which is ugly & is prone to artifacts, so I now always declare an explicit font family.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I'd hypothesise that the machines do not have identical sets of sytem fonts.
sigil is using the closest available match (within the PCs font sets) for the font it wants to use in book view & that closest match on one machine happens to be italic.

knowing the name of sigil's preferred font would speed up the comparison but I never did find out what it defaults to . all I know is that it defaults to somehing which is ugly & is prone to artifacts, so I now always declare an explicit font family.
The default font in Book View is something that QtWebkit chooses. I have no idea how it makes a pick.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The default font in Book View is something that QtWebkit chooses. I have no idea how it makes a pick.
it must be documented somewhere, surely, but I guess neither of us are that interested,

if you could easily set a well liked explicit & widely available default, like Times New Roman, in your next sigil release though, that would be a good workaround.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:36 AM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it must be documented somewhere, surely, but I guess neither of us are that interested,

if you could easily set a well liked explicit & widely available default, like Times New Roman, in your next sigil release though, that would be a good workaround.
I'm fairly sure that the default QtWebkit font is not something hardcoded in the QtWebkit sources, but that it's a complex cascade of heuristic rules. Sure, I could probably have it pick TNR and that only, but that would go around any OS-level preferences the user may have set and that I think QtWebkit considers. It does vary based on OS though.