Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free book (DRM-free) - Fodor's 1936 On the Continent [Vintage Travel Planning]

And on the subject of travel planning guides, for Fodor's 75th Anniversary they are offering a DRM-free ePub & Mobi download of their very first travel book, founder Eugene Fodor's own 1936… On the Continent: The Entertaining Travel Annual.

If you've ever wondered what travel was like back in the post-public domain days, now you can find out from the convenience of your e-reader. For free!

Linkage to the promo page here, found thanks to MR member manou who posted about it in the Amazon freebie thread.

ETA: in the intervening years, this has since shown up @ B&N, Amazon (available to Canadians & in the UK), iTunes & Google Play (both available to Canadians), as well as remaining free directly at the publisher's website.

Description
Three years before the start of WWII, Eugene Fodor published his first guidebook, 1936–On the Continent–The Entertaining Travel Annual. Fodor's goal was to create a fun-to-read, annually updated guidebook about Europe that emphasized the people and culture of a country—a radical change from the traditional guidebook approach. Seventy-five years later, On the Continent gives readers a nostalgic glimpse and sentimental grand tour of pre-WWII Europe.

Today, Fodor's is one of the world's largest and most trusted brands in travel, covering more than 600 destinations worldwide in guidebooks, on Fodors.com, in ebooks and iPhone apps.

To celebrate our 75th anniversary, Fodor's invites you to download a free ebook edition of the guide that started it all.

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-22-2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: More years! More stores!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Way cool - looks like some fun airplane reading the next time I'm lucky enough to head for Europe...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
How nifty! I love vintage travel guides. Thanks for posting about this!
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds interesting. A good writer's resource as well I imagine. I mean if someone was writing a book set in that time period it could help add some realism to the storyline.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Lovely, thank you!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
Thanks, just snagged it for the Kindle.
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

As soon as I put this on my Kindle and opened it up, my system practically locked up, everything moved verrrry slowly if at all. Do you think such a big eBook (10MB) with what I assume are lots of graphics could slow down or cripple my Kindle 3? It may have just been a coincidence, the problem being something else, but I deleted it in case and for the moment things are going smoothly again. Hmm, anybody else having any problems?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ePub version is less than 7 megs. I'm guessing Fodor used KindleGen and it automatically included all the source files as it usually does.

There really aren't all that much in the way of images beyond some facsimiles of vintage ads. Maybe your Kindle was just locked up indexing such a big file?

Perhaps you could try downloading and converting the ePub version via Calibre to see if gives the same problem, if you have the patience for testing things that way.

Or move it onto the Kindle before bedtime and see if it runs smoothly after having indexed the book overnight.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
rogerVA
Connoisseur

It may well have been indexing, as I had just loaded it up. I'll try it again later and see what happens.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #10
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Now free at the US Kindle store
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerVA View Post
As soon as I put this on my Kindle and opened it up, my system practically locked up, everything moved verrrry slowly if at all. Do you think such a big eBook (10MB) with what I assume are lots of graphics could slow down or cripple my Kindle 3? It may have just been a coincidence, the problem being something else, but I deleted it in case and for the moment things are going smoothly again. Hmm, anybody else having any problems?
My sony displays "page error" with the epub version
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard

Now also free @ B&N. I'll note that the Kindle version is DRM-ed and 99 cents for Canadians.

Tags
drm-free ebook, long-term freebie, permafreebie