Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #31
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Folders is good. I've become fond of tags, as well, since you can multiply tag something and then it searches under crime, SF, and alternate history, if you can find a book that's like that...

Last edited by pshrynk; 08-25-2009 at 12:19 PM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #32
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Unless you are transferring large (read multi MB files such as audio) the timing between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 is not a factor. Most e-books are small and ePub is compressed (ZIP) so their space requirements and transfer speeds are minimal. As suggested by cvkemp, large files are best transfered to a card and then the card inserted to the reader.

The time spent adding and removing files from the reader is very small as contrasted with the time spent reading. Do not let the USB 1.1 vs. 2.0 sway your choice.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #33
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
A great summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Unless you are transferring large (read multi MB files such as audio) the timing between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 is not a factor. Most e-books are small and ePub is compressed (ZIP) so their space requirements and transfer speeds are minimal. As suggested by cvkemp, large files are best transfered to a card and then the card inserted to the reader.

The time spent adding and removing files from the reader is very small as contrasted with the time spent reading. Do not let the USB 1.1 vs. 2.0 sway your choice.
I find the exact same. RWood has done a great job of putting things into perspective... regarding the downloading of books and music into your EZ Reader... it remains very simple and fast... no matter what USB is employed!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #34
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OOPS!! Make that 500KB!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Aehm ... Aehm ... Aehm ...
You probably wanted to say 500KB
Mr. Kacir caught my bad!! He is right!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #35
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I did get the USB 1.1 specs on the EZ Reader from the Astak website but I didn't intend to make anyone mad when I asked about it. I thought it might be significant since USB 2.0 is like 40 times faster than USB 1.1. If experienced users say it doesn't make any difference I'll defer to that experience.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #36
Robertb

Thank you, Gaston

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
I did get the USB 1.1 specs on the EZ Reader from the Astak website but I didn't intend to make anyone mad when I asked about it. I thought it might be significant since USB 2.0 is like 40 times faster than USB 1.1. If experienced users say it doesn't make any difference I'll defer to that experience.
Dear Gaston:

I am glad that you brought it up. At least we all know.

I did learn that there actually is a USB 3.0 which is faster still but have not heard of it being used.

Anyway, you are always welcome here and we value your opinion!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #37
Moo Strength
Moo Strength began at the beginning.

Device: Astek EZ Reader
Thanks so much to everyone that helped me with this thread. I really appreciate the help and I have already ordered the 5" version. I am anxiously awaiting my new reader. I have already loaded about 300 books onto a 16GB SDHC card...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
I did learn that there actually is a USB 3.0 which is faster still but have not heard of it being used.
USB 3.0 is still not finalized. The products are probably not going to come out this year. In theory USB3 is supposed to be upwards of 5Gbps. In reality it's closer to 1-1.3GBps.

USB wireless has also been abysmal in terms of performance. Belkin did have a USB wireless kit for about 2 weeks and then promptly canceled all the orders and yanked it off the table. Apparently it interfered with just about every wireless device.

USB 2.0 has a max operating speed of 480Mbps. USB 1.1 started out at like 1.5Mbps and peaked at 11Mbps.

Bare in mind those above numbers are Mbps, not MBps. To understand what the little "b" will mean in terms of actual speed, it's the same relationship when figuring what your ISP speed actually can theoretically do. If you are downloading something on your internet connection and getting 400KBps, then you are connecting at a 3.2Mbps speed. Effectively you multiply your rate by 8 and get the rated speed. So if you can transfer something at 480Mbps, then in theory you should see a max of 60MBps transfer speed. However the average speed of a USB transfer at best, is about 25-30MBps.... Also bare in mind that a 1.1 USB device in a chain, will negate all 2.0USB devices to operate at the weakest speed. So a 1.1USB based eReader in a chain will make a USB 2.0 device that is inbetween the link to the computer (not including a dedicated HUB/Switch or a second USB port) operate at 1.1USB.
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote