Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
metoth
metoth began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Problem with a Kobo book

My 1st generation Kobo has been giving me problems lately. My most annoying problem at the moment is regarding an ebook, a Sue Grafton novel, that I purchased from Kobo for my Kobo Reader. For some reason, it only appears on my reader in the smallest font. It's too small for me to comfortably read. I have tried adjusting the font size on the reader, but that does not help at all. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I wrote to Kobo's customer service several days ago, but have still not gotten any kind of reply. I made the mistake of updating my Kobo software to the most current version thinking that maybe it would help the problem, but now the Kobobooks software on my computer says it is incompatible with my actual Kobo.

Help!
metoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What firmware level is on the Kobo itself?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, metoth
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
metoth

I'm not sure what version of firmware. It's whatever originally came with the Kobo I guess. How do I find that out?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoth View Post
I'm not sure what version of firmware. It's whatever originally came with the Kobo I guess. How do I find that out?
It is under settings I believe but if you bought it early it is probably the original version.
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
metoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
It is under settings I believe but if you bought it early it is probably the original version.
Thanks. Found it. Yes, it is version 1.0.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Thanks. Found it. Yes, it is version 1.0.
The font issue was fixed in 1.4

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
metoth

I tried to upgrade. I think it is 1.7? But now it says that my Kobo is incompatible with Kobobooks software on my computer?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
I tried to upgrade. I think it is 1.7? But now it says that my Kobo is incompatible with Kobobooks software on my computer?
Assuming you're a Windows user, you can grab the latest desktop software from here: http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto.../kobosetup.exe
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
metoth

I have the latest desktop software, but once I upgraded the desktop software, it says that my Kobo is not longer compatible with the version of the software.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Check your Kobo again for version number please. I'm thinking that it continues to be a problem.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
You will have to find a way to update the reader firmware to 1.4 to solve your font problem, and to allow future firmware updates, as well. There were a couple of ways to do this. If you are in Canada, Australia, or NZ, the local Kobo dealer should be able to do the firmware update using an SD card. That's the easiest, I think. Failing that, if you tell us where you live, a current owner nearby may have an SD card prepared. Finally, (and this could get messy) if you uninstall the 1.7 Kobo software from your computer, you can install the original desktop software from your Kobo. Then it ought to connect to the Kobo servers and discover that your firmware is outdated and offer to upgrade it for you. I'm not sure that is still available, or that all the instructions to clarify the procedures are still available. We can find people to help guide you through, if you can't find an SD card upgrade. Let us know if you have troubles.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
metoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Check your Kobo again for version number please. I'm thinking that it continues to be a problem.
My Kobo appears to be version 1.0. The desktop software is 1.7.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
metoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
You will have to find a way to update the reader firmware to 1.4 to solve your font problem, and to allow future firmware updates, as well. There were a couple of ways to do this. If you are in Canada, Australia, or NZ, the local Kobo dealer should be able to do the firmware update using an SD card. That's the easiest, I think. Failing that, if you tell us where you live, a current owner nearby may have an SD card prepared. Finally, (and this could get messy) if you uninstall the 1.7 Kobo software from your computer, you can install the original desktop software from your Kobo. Then it ought to connect to the Kobo servers and discover that your firmware is outdated and offer to upgrade it for you. I'm not sure that is still available, or that all the instructions to clarify the procedures are still available. We can find people to help guide you through, if you can't find an SD card upgrade. Let us know if you have troubles.
I live in the US, specifically Ohio.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Check with Borders and see if they have a link for the update. It will/should include the appropriate desktop which will trigger a firmware update to 1.4 when you attach your Kobo and run the desktop software. Before you do that, uninstall your current desktop from Windows control panel, or the equivalent on your MAC.

These files used to work for installing 1.4, not sure if they do any longer:

PC users: http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/58/KoboSetup.exe

MAC users: http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/58/KoboSetup.dmg

It is possible that if you uninstall 1.7, then install the version of the desktop that comes on your Kobo (look at the files on the reader when it is plugged in for the file), it will prompt you to update--I am just not sure if it will then install 1.4, which is what you need.

The only other alternative is to wait for 1.8. It is supposed to update firmware from 1.0, 1.4, etc. You would have to sideload your purchases using ADE or Calibre in the meantime.

Last edited by taming; 11-18-2010 at 10:10 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote