Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
A1 Perfect Web Browser

Just a quick review for anyone who was curious about this browser that has flown to the top of the App store charts. Both iCab and Atomic are far better replacements for Safari than this browser, save your money.

Really don't understand why this $3 browser has risen so quickly, feature wise both iCab and Atomic have it beat. It does not offer bookmark imports (essential to me), any sort of download ability (a great feature of iCab), or any significant speed in rendering over any other browser.

It does have, user agent switching (Atomic & iCab do this as well), full-screen browsing (Atomic & iCab), "real" tabs (Atomic & iCab), "private" browsing (Atomic & iCab). It does offer a "hyper scroll bar" that lets you scroll quickly up and down a page, very quickly. It has one-button in-page search (easily added as a bookmarklet to any browser). And a quick way to hide the tab bar. The UI and colors looks very similar to Safari and cannot be changed (Atomic allows you to set one of many color themes).

It's a good replacement for Safari, but both Atomic and iCab have it beat in terms of features and price. Save a buck and buy iCab ($1.99), or save two and buy Atomic ($0.99).
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Just a quick review for anyone who was curious about this browser that has flown to the top of the App store charts. Both iCab and Atomic are far better replacements for Safari than this browser, save your money.

Really don't understand why this $3 browser has risen so quickly, feature wise both iCab and Atomic have it beat. It does not offer bookmark imports (essential to me), any sort of download ability (a great feature of iCab), or any significant speed in rendering over any other browser.

It does have, user agent switching (Atomic & iCab do this as well), full-screen browsing (Atomic & iCab), "real" tabs (Atomic & iCab), "private" browsing (Atomic & iCab). It does offer a "hyper scroll bar" that lets you scroll quickly up and down a page, very quickly. It has one-button in-page search (easily added as a bookmarklet to any browser). And a quick way to hide the tab bar. The UI and colors looks very similar to Safari and cannot be changed (Atomic allows you to set one of many color themes).

It's a good replacement for Safari, but both Atomic and iCab have it beat in terms of features and price. Save a buck and buy iCab ($1.99), or save two and buy Atomic ($0.99).
ICab has hyper scroll to just touch 3 fingers to bring up scroll pad and get to bottom of long pages really quick.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

A1's hyper scroll is an actual scroll bar that you can use to scroll up and down quickly to any point. It is actually a nice feature, but not one to make me ditch iCab for since iCab does so much more.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Anyone know which is faster for general browsing between Atomic and iCab? (I currently use Atomic)
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books

i wouldn't say go out and buy icab just for a faster browsing experience, they are pretty close and it's going to depend more on network connection at the moment, etc. it was the additional features icab had over atomic (like the ability to download any file) that made me switch over.
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Thanks for the comparison. I saw A1 in the top selling list so I checked out its details... I couldn't understand why anyone would choose A1 over iCab.

I'm also surprised that new Color Splash app ($1.99) is selling so well. You can do the same thing in ArtStudio ($.99), but ArtStudio offers a ton of other features where as Color Splash can only be used for selective black&white/color coloring. All you have to do in ArtStudio is load up your color image, duplicate the image layer, set the top duplicated layer to grayscale, and then erase any parts from the top layer that you want to be color. Clean, easy, cheaper, and you still have an app that can do a whole lot more imaging functions.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Is there any way to "force" other apps that switch and open a browser window to use a browser other than Safari?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

nope. people have requested it of apple, but they don't want you to replace safari.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
nope. people have requested it of apple, but they don't want you to replace safari.
And I suppose that by keeping Safari a notch or two below the other browsers that are selling in their App Store Apple is making money by retaining a less than perfect browser. Makes perfect sense to me!
Old 06-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Thanks for the review, Scott. I was curious mostly because of it's meteoric rise to the top. Here's a good example where popularity =/= quality.

You just saved me $2.99 toward my next Mocha Grande
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

i was reading an article the other day that discussed how some apps are "stuffing the ballot box" by setting up thousands of fake itunes accounts and then using them to buy back their own applications to drive them up the charts. not saying this is the case here. but it is interesting. basically the company loses 30% of their costs to apple as their advertising fee since they get 70% back. silly, but it can be profitable i guess.

still, either they just got lucky with word-of-mouth, or maybe the A1 in the name puts it first in people's search, but personally I don't think it is worth the money over iCab or even Atomic. it's barely much more than safari.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
And I suppose that by keeping Safari a notch or two below the other browsers that are selling in their App Store Apple is making money by retaining a less than perfect browser. Makes perfect sense to me!
Ha ha cynical I like it.

You can fix this issue if your iPad is jail broken.

Theirs a jailbreak app for that.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

just looked at artstudio for the ipad, it's $2.99.. still, for the extra buck you get a lot more features than colorsplash.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Ha ha cynical I like it.

You can fix this issue if your iPad is jail broken.

Theirs a jailbreak app for that.
Another reason to jailbreak. I'm not sure I want to do this - yet. Announced upgrade coming later this year. Can I disable the jailbreak?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A1 Perfect Browser was on sale for 99 cents. That's how it rose so fast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote