Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sigil & Kindle

Is the Sigil usable for creating content that's readable on the Kindle?

OK, I know that the Kindle doesn't read ePub. But I can't find an editor that creates the Mobipocket format that the Kindle does read (and is used to add content to the Kindle store).

So the question is: is the ePub output of the Sigil compatible with Calibre, such that Calibre's conversion of ePub to Mobipocket will produce working Table of Contents, etc? If so, this could be a reasonable way of creating Kindle content.

Of course, someone could extend Sigil to produce mobipocket files directly...
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi fcoulter, welcome to the forum. if you only want to make mobipocket files, why not just use the mobipocket creator application ? it's available as a free download on the mobipocket site : http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilsCreator.asp

kindle can read drm-free mobipocket files.

of course, if you want to make both epub *and* mobipocket, you might be better making epub first, then converting it to mobipocket. be aware that mobipocket can't handle some advanced formatting you can do in epub.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Yes, the books converted from Sigil output by Calibre are good on the Kindle. I've got quite a few texts I've done that way.

One thing that .epub has that .prc / .mobi doesn't support is multi level TOC's, that is links to "chapters" underneath broader links like divisions. For instance I took a King James version of the Bible in .epub and added an OT and NT link with the books from each division under each major heading. Looks good in .epub but in Kindle readable format they all appear flat and there is no benefit to the upper level links.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post
OK, I know that the Kindle doesn't read ePub. But I can't find an editor that creates the Mobipocket format that the Kindle does read (and is used to add content to the Kindle store).

So the question is: is the ePub output of the Sigil compatible with Calibre, such that Calibre's conversion of ePub to Mobipocket will produce working Table of Contents, etc? If so, this could be a reasonable way of creating Kindle content.
Like Zelda said, if you're mainly interested in creating mobipocket files, check out Mobipocket Creator.

But yes, you can create epubs with Sigil and then feed them to Calibre to produce mobi files.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hi fcoulter, welcome to the forum. if you only want to make mobipocket files, why not just use the mobipocket creator application ? it's available as a free download on the mobipocket site : http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilsCreator.asp

kindle can read drm-free mobipocket files.

of course, if you want to make both epub *and* mobipocket, you might be better making epub first, then converting it to mobipocket. be aware that mobipocket can't handle some advanced formatting you can do in epub.
My problem with mobicreator is that it really is just a processing program for externally created content. If I want to edit the content, I have to go back to the original source files and edit them.

From what I can tell, Sigil lets me edit the document from within Sigil. This seems far more convienient. Of course, not having used Sigil, it may be less useful than I think it is.

Soon...
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I use Sigil to make a nice ePub and then convert to Mobi using Calibre all the time. Works well for me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
My problem with mobicreator is that it really is just a processing program for externally created content. If I want to edit the content, I have to go back to the original source files and edit them.

From what I can tell, Sigil lets me edit the document from within Sigil. This seems far more convienient. Of course, not having used Sigil, it may be less useful than I think it is.

Soon...
i see what you mean. in that case, yes, sigil might be a better solution for you. it will allow you to edit the epub directly and easily. and you can easily convert the epub to mobipocket.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Try Book Designer.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote