Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Calibre and TouchPad

Hi Kovid --- I just tried out the latest 0.8.17 version of Calibre with my new HP TouchPad. It recognizes the device, and successfully transfers the mobi files to the proper Kindle folder on the HP. However, the Amazon Kindle App for TouchPad is still in beta, and sideloaded files to the WebOS won't be detected by the Kindle App. What the transfer seems to be somehow inadvertently doing, however, is making the Kindle book navigation menus inaccessible so that it is impossible to do much other that read the current book you were on before transferring the files from Calibre. Not quite sure how to remedy the problem, other than an uninstall and reinstall of the Kindle WebOS app. I deleted the Calibre files I could find, but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well, all calibre does is copy files to the device. There isn't anything I can do about the Kindle app not working with side loaded files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well, all calibre does is copy files to the device. There isn't anything I can do about the Kindle app not working with side loaded files.
Understood. More of a precautionary tale, rather than anything else. At this point in time, with the WebOS Kindle app in beta and not being able to recognize sideloaded mobis and azws, recognition of the HP TouchPad by Calibre is not a particularly good thing. Somehow, one of the peripheral files that Calibre transfers to the TouchPad is interfering with the ability of the Kindle app to access its navigation menus. Just be prepared to uninstall and reinstall your Kindle app, if you use Calibre to transfer your files to the TouchPad at this time. No fault of Calibre, and no criticism implied (as a matter of fact I just hit the donate button again for the third time) --- the Kindle app is beta and buggered at this point in time.

Just a precautionary tale, I say again, something you might want to read to your children alongside Grimm's Fairy Tales... Hopefully the developers of the WebOS Kindle app have not disappeared and will put out a fix that makes the TouchPad more friendly to sideloaded mobi/azw files.

Tim

Last edited by Timoleon; 09-03-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
TMPoole
TMPoole began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX/Mobipocket,Astak Pocket Pro, Kindle2, K3
Didn't recognize my Touchpad

I'm running 0.8.17 and it didn't seem to recognize device at all.

Not that I care that much. I'm not ditching my K3's anyway.

Figure I'll play with it to see if I can figure out why it won't work.
TMPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate subforum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
No fault of Calibre, and no criticism implied (as a matter of fact I just hit the donate button again for the third time) --- the Kindle app is beta and buggered at this point in time.

Just a precautionary tale, I say again, something you might want to read to your children alongside Grimm's Fairy Tales... Hopefully the developers of the WebOS Kindle app have not disappeared and will put out a fix that makes the TouchPad more friendly to sideloaded mobi/azw files.
You may want to find out how to contact them and tell the cautionary tale to them. Most developers, while developing in beta stadium, are glad for bug reports and missing features.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Moved to appropriate subforum.

You may want to find out how to contact them and tell the cautionary tale to them. Most developers, while developing in beta stadium, are glad for bug reports and missing features.
Yes, that was the first thing I did. It's a known issue, and apparently is being worked on.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
doctj
Enthusiast
doctj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-950, HP Touchpad
Some touchpad users are reporting inablilty to download books from the caliber server to the touchpad.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctj View Post
Some touchpad users are reporting inablilty to download books from the caliber server to the touchpad.
This sounds like a Touchpad browser issue in that it cannot correctly download the file and pass it to the correct program. It sounds like the same sort of error/limitation that used to occur on Apple devices in earlier iOS releases.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
MiamiArch
MiamiArch began at the beginning.

Device: HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
This sounds like a Touchpad browser issue in that it cannot correctly download the file and pass it to the correct program. It sounds like the same sort of error/limitation that used to occur on Apple devices in earlier iOS releases.
Well, I thought so in the beginning, but then I tried Project Gutenberg and it works. Downloaded a epub book and imported it into pReader. So I think it has something to do with the way Calibre sets up the web page with the books.

Thanks

MA
MiamiArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
MiamiArch

After working for a couple of hours I learned a couple of things.

The problem with the downloads is the password protection of the calibre web server page (apparently a webos bug). If you remove it, the file downloads fine

If the name of the books have spaces, webos replaces them with %20, causing pReader to be unable to read them, remove these characters and the files open fine.

Kovid, if you read this, is there any way to change the folder to where the books are sent from calibre to the TP? As far as ican tell they are always sent to the kindle folder.

If I have not said this before kovid, thanks and congrats on Calibre, it is a great program

MA
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No calibre has no control over where the browser on the device saves files.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
MiamiArch

I meant when I am in calibre and sen a book to the device it puts it inside the kindle folder.
When downloading from the servr through wifi it puts them in downloads

thxs
Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The person that requested the driver for this device asked that the books be placed in the kindle folder. Since the kindle reader app is broken anyway, if you want a different location/book format, let me know.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #14
MiamiArch

Well, it would be great if we could select the folder...
If that is too complicated to do, maybe an option for kindle and an option for 'generic ereader' where the files are sent to the 'downloads' folder.

ps: is there any way in calibre to batch process the whole library and replace all spaces in file names with '_' ?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Disable the driver plugin and use the connect folder feature.

Filenames are generated from metadata dynamically so you cannot replace spaces in filenames. But if you use Save to Disk to put files on the device, then you can tell calibre to replace spaces with underscores via Preferences->Saving to disk