Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
manumitir
manumitir began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile kindle dictionaries...

hello everybody,

I'm thinking on buying a kindle, but I was wondering, since I also read books in spanish and french, can I order mi kindle with other dictionaries that work on it just like the new Oxford American dictionary included?
that is to say: that the other dictionaries aren't just like regular books on my kindle, but reader, that if, for instance, I was to move the cursor to a word in say french, the definition would automatically display at the bottom of the screen just as it would with a word in english?

thanks for your help
manumitir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by manumitir View Post
hello everybody,

I'm thinking on buying a kindle, but I was wondering, since I also read books in spanish and french, can I order mi kindle with other dictionaries that work on it just like the new Oxford American dictionary included?
that is to say: that the other dictionaries aren't just like regular books on my kindle, but reader, that if, for instance, I was to move the cursor to a word in say french, the definition would automatically display at the bottom of the screen just as it would with a word in english?

thanks for your help
You can't order your Kindle with other dictionaries. But you can install your own dictionaries, as soon as you get your Kindle.
Any standard Mobipocket dictionary will do. You may have to strip it from DRM (copy protection), which is an easy procedure. Then you simply add it to Kindle and define it as the (new) standard dictionary. No modification needed, no "hacking" necessary. I've bought a German-English dictionary from here: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...sp?Language=DE
A Spanish one should be available here: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...sp?Language=ES
A French one should be available here: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...sp?Language=FR

BTW: The reader doesn't automatically switch languages. Whether you point to an English, French or Spanish word, it always will use the dictionary, you've defined as the standard.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-13-2010 at 03:51 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
sam228
sam228 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I get error "libglib-2.0.0.dll" with Stardict on windows XP. I was wondering if someone could please convert the following German-English dictionaries for use on Kindle and send me by ema*l:
patricksarmad2@gmail.com
1. http://downloads.sourceforge.ne/xdxf...er_eng.tar.bz2
2. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...r.bz2?download
3. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...r.bz2?download
sam228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
manumitir

that's great news mgmueller, thanks a lot! I'll keep that in mind
Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam228 View Post
I get error "libglib-2.0.0.dll" with Stardict on windows XP. I was wondering if someone could please convert the following German-English dictionaries for use on Kindle and send me by ema*l:
patricksarmad2@gmail.com
I'm not sure, whether the dictionary functionality will "survive" any conversion. You might end up with a standard document instead of a dictionary.
Kindle's format basically is the Mobipocket format. This would be the perfect format for your dictionary on Kindle.
For conversion, "calibre" from Kovid Goyal always is a good choice. You find a dedicated forum for "calibre" here in mobileread. And Kovid Goyal frequently posts himself, so you can raise any questions directly to him.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-13-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumitir View Post
that's great news mgmueller, thanks a lot! I'll keep that in mind
It's really a great option and very rare. Most readers have a single, non-user-replacable dictionary (if there's even a dictionary at all!).

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-13-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Be aware that a dictionary with an input language other than English may not work on the Kindle. Take a look at this thread, esp. post #29:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=60103&page=2

Amazon sells Kindle Default dictionaries that ought to work 'out of the box' - but if I were you, I'd check the comments first
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Be aware that a dictionary with an input language other than English may not work on the Kindle. Take a look at this thread, esp. post #29:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=60103&page=2

Amazon sells Kindle Default dictionaries that ought to work 'out of the box' - but if I were you, I'd check the comments first
How often does your Avatar change? Quite fascinating. Saw at least 4 different themes today...
Old 03-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
How often does your Avatar change? Quite fascinating. Saw at least 4 different themes today...
Just couldn't quite decide which one.... But I think I'll keep this for a while
Old 03-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Just couldn't quite decide which one.... But I think I'll keep this for a while
Just saw your "Shelfari" link. Didn't know that before. Do you have to manually build your library? Or can you export, for example from "calibre" or your online libraries (Kindle, nook, ...)?

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-13-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Just saw your "Shelfari" link. Didn't know that before. Do you have to manually build your library? Or can you export, for example from "calibre" or your online libraries (Kindle, nook, ...)?
sent you a visitor message at your profile page - better not hijack this thread
Old 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
sam228
sam228 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
patricksarmad2@gmail.com

Once again. Thanks for the Calibre tip but I am not a newbie. I am using it since I have my Kindle but it doesn't work.
So far I have managed to convert microsoft .lit free bilingual dictionaries to .prc using "ABC Amber LIT Converter" followed by mobipocket converter. But in the end it turn outs to be only a mobipocket file without any dictionary functionality in Kindle DX.

I will write to Kovid now. But if anyone comes up with a solution please do follow up here. At some pages I have read some people claiming that they have successfully managed to add a bilingual dictionary to kindle. But I have yet to see anyone writing a step by step method to do it.
sam228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I got a French-English dictionary from the list of default dictionary replacements, and it works great.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
manumitir

Thanks for the warning, Ea; I'll check the comments first to get a more general idea on the subject
Old 03-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Once again. Thanks for the Calibre tip but I am not a newbie. I am using it since I have my Kindle but it doesn't work.
So far I have managed to convert microsoft .lit free bilingual dictionaries to .prc using "ABC Amber LIT Converter" followed by mobipocket converter. But in the end it turn outs to be only a mobipocket file without any dictionary functionality in Kindle DX.

I will write to Kovid now. But if anyone comes up with a solution please do follow up here. At some pages I have read some people claiming that they have successfully managed to add a bilingual dictionary to kindle. But I have yet to see anyone writing a step by step method to do it.
It sound as if what you really want advice about is not how to install a dictionary on the Kindle, but how to build a Kindle compatible dictionary. As mgmueller said (underscore mine):
Quote:
Any standard Mobipocket dictionary will do. You may have to strip it from DRM (copy protection), which is an easy procedure. Then you simply add it to Kindle and define it as the (new) standard dictionary. No modification needed, no "hacking" necessary. ...
As far as I know, you are not able to just convert any dictionary in a different file format and then have a working mobipocket dictionary. It need to be marked up correctly to function as a dictionary. As you saw, the one you converted didn't work. I remember someone building a working dictionary in Romanian - yes, the thread is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58484 You could try to contact LucasCorso. I don't know more than this about the structure of dictionaries, so I'm afraid it won't help to ask me

Adding a bilingual dictionary on the Kindle is as easy as installing a new default dictionary, but you need a dictionary that is working correctly. EDIT, added: The procedure of how to install a default dictionary on the Kindle is described in the Kindle manual.

Last edited by Ea; 03-14-2010 at 05:07 AM.