Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
nitant
nitant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 - Blacklisted
Noob Help

I just got a kindle PW2. Its blacklisted and I purchased it knowing this from PowerbookMedic

Any way I am facing a few issues, and I am unable to find a solution. Help please

1) SSH over Wifi, stops working if BBB is enabled. How do I fix this? Without BBB the device gets unregistered till the next boot

2) Is there anyway to Sync my Feedly RSS to my Kindle, Wirelessly. Or just read these feeds on my kindle? Logging in doesn't work on the browser. Calibre syncing is possible, but it makes 1 file out of the topics and not as fun.

3) Can I somehow use send2kindle without an Amazon email ID? Maybe a CRON job that checks my server regularly and downloads the latest books. Is that possible?
nitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitant View Post
- - - - - -
1) SSH over Wifi, stops working if BBB is enabled. How do I fix this? Without BBB the device gets unregistered till the next boot
- - - - - -
It shouldn't, if you enable BBB **before** you enable USBnetworking (or Wifi networking), so list the rules after enabling BBB and post as an attachment.

That next sentence does not compute.

If the device is blacklisted, it can not ever be registered, therefore it can also never be unregistered (by booting or by anything else).

When a device is blacklisted, that is an entry which is made in the Amazon database, not locally on the device (although there probably are device local side-effects).

Booting will effect BBB -
it will no longer be enabled after the re-boot -
as documented, BBB does not survive a re-boot.

Last edited by knc1; 03-26-2015 at 05:26 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Not a great way to do RSS feeds:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224765
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222212

Calibre is probably best.
or
http://webtoread.com/ gives you one free daily feed of a selection (or buy more)

Good luck - if you find a better way, please post!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:54 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That next sentence does not compute.

If the device is blacklisted, it can not ever be registered, therefore it can also never be unregistered (by booting or by anything else).

When a device is blacklisted, that is an entry which is made in the Amazon database, not locally on the device (although there probably are device local side-effects).
I'm guessing the hacks posted in this very forum, to trick the Kindle into thinking it is registered... in order to gain full access to the darn settings menu.

Which is well-known to not survive connecting to Amazon's servers.

Answer -- first thing you do after a reboot is enable BBB. Should be doable via upstart/cron.

nitant -- you cannot use send-to-kindle except through Amazon but feel free to use cron to regularly schedule a batch download of whatever you like, although perhaps other solutions like USBNetwork syncing might work out better.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
nitant

Thanks a ton

Wow guys!! I have rarely come across such a helpful forum.

I am gonna do some research, and let y'all know if I find a better solution.

Thanks
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitant View Post
Wow guys!! I have rarely come across such a helpful forum.

I am gonna do some research, and let y'all know if I find a better solution.

Thanks
I think you will find our that forum **IS** the "better solution".

(I know, the poster was referring to the answers, not the "helpful forum" of the first sentence.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
nitant

My solution

So I have finally found a solution that works for me. Just thought I would update you guys.

My main objective of the kindle is to Read Articles, that I select to read later. I have installed the "Save to Pocket" Safari extension and I use that to save my articles

Once I am finished reading my list, I use Calibre to download Pocket articles using this Recipe -> http://fossies.org/linux/calibre/rec...itlater.recipe

(I changed the Minimum articles to 1, dont know why the script specifies 10)

Then I simply Sideload the articles using the cable and it works pretty well for me.

Next step is to somehow get this on my server and use it to push the files to a directory, which then my kindle syncs and deletes once downloaded

Will let you guys know of my progress

PS: Have been a part of many forums(unrelated to kindle), and this is one of the more helpful ones for sure.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You mean the builtin Pocket recipe, the canonical source for which is at https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...itlater.recipe --right?

Gotta ask the author why the minimum

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-03-2015 at 03:34 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote