Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
john_es
Connoisseur
john_es began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Error opening EPUB

Ever since the latest version of calibre, when I open an epub file, I get this error:

This page contains the following errors:
error on line 11 at column 99: Opening and ending tag mismatch.
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

I can open it fine on my Nook and with Adobe Digital Editions...

How can I troublehsoot this?

John
john_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do an epub to epub conversion that will most likely fix the tag mismatch automatically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
john_es
Connoisseur

If I do an epub to to epub conversion, what will that change? I just want to make sure that the files won't be modified, etc. I guess I don't understand why I am changing the file to make calibre read it, when everything else reads it... wouldn't that point to a software issue and not a book issue?

Also, since I have a ton of books, is there a way to figure out which ones I have to run this on, without having to open each one up?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think you will find that the file is technically invalid (which is what Calibre is complaining about). It is highly likely that the other software you are trying is silently ignoring the error.

We would need more detail on the error and the part of the epub file that Calibre is complaining about to be certain.

Last edited by itimpi; 02-18-2013 at 06:12 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
john_es
Connoisseur

The error that occurs says:

After that, the book looks intact.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_es View Post
The error that occurs says:

After that, the book looks intact.
So.. switch to Codeview and figure out WHICH tag at or above line 11 is mis-matched and fix it .
BTW line 11 is almost always a header line (before <body>)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Pierre Menard
Zealot
Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch
I believe I've been seeing the same thing as the OP. I don't read in calibre, and I don't get the error anywhere else, so I've pretty much just been ignoring it so far.

But I can tell you it started with either version 0.9.7 or 0.9.8. Books that had shown no errors before that started showing the error when viewed in those versions and later--and it's a LOT of books, all from retail copies. It's always on the cover page. Epubcheck it says they validate, fwiw.

Here's an example. I don't really know what to look for as far as problems.

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xml:lang="en-gb">
<head>
<title>A Book Title</title>
<link href="../styles/0000000000000.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
<meta content="urn:uuid:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" name="Adept.expected.resource"/>
</head>
<body>
<div>
<svg:svg viewBox="0 0 1243 1600">
<svg:image height="1600" transform="translate(0 0)" width="1243" xlink:href="../images/0000000000000.jpg"/>
</svg:svg>
</div>
</body>
</html>
Pierre Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Menard View Post
I believe I've been seeing the same thing as the OP. I don't read in calibre, and I don't get the error anywhere else, so I've pretty much just been ignoring it so far.

But I can tell you it started with either version 0.9.7 or 0.9.8. Books that had shown no errors before that started showing the error when viewed in those versions and later--and it's a LOT of books, all from retail copies. It's always on the cover page. Epubcheck it says they validate, fwiw.

Here's an example. I don't really know what to look for as far as problems.

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xml:lang="en-gb">
<head>
<title>A Book Title</title>
<link href="../styles/0000000000000.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
<meta content="urn:uuid:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" name="Adept.expected.resource"/>
</head>
<body>
<div>
<svg:svg viewBox="0 0 1243 1600">
<svg:image height="1600" transform="translate(0 0)" width="1243" xlink:href="../images/0000000000000.jpg"/>
</svg:svg>
</div>
</body>
</html>
Here is Calibre's code
Code:
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 316 477" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image height="477" width="316" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpeg"></image>
    </svg>
what you see did not COME from a calibre conversion.

I don't know if the (colored red) colon syntax is valid SVG
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or it could be a bug in QT4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Pierre Menard
Zealot
Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
what you see did not COME from a calibre conversion.
I'm not sure what this means. Do you mean what's seen in the book I posted? I never said anything about a calibre conversion, I said it's a retail book. Or do you mean if I DID do a calibre conversion on it, then it would look like the second, valid example?

Either way, I have no interest in converting anything, especially since I don't have a problem with them outside of calibre's reader. Just trying to add some additional info to what the OP offered--particularly the fact that these same books (hundreds of them) were fine in previous versions of calibre, with nothing else having changed.
Pierre Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quoting form the whats new page for 0.9.20:

E-book viewer: When viewing EPUB files, do not parse html as xhtml even if it has svg tags embedded. This allows malformed XHTML files to still be viewed.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Pierre Menard: If you want to see everything wrong about that markup, use http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input
Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
john_es
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quoting form the whats new page for 0.9.20:

E-book viewer: When viewing EPUB files, do not parse html as xhtml even if it has svg tags embedded. This allows malformed XHTML files to still be viewed.
Thanks guys, Pierre too -- because I am seeing this exactly as you are.... especially on hundreds of books.

Kovid - Does this mean that valid books showing errors is a new feature with .9.20? I am not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to figure out if books that are good everywhere else that now show an error in Calibre was done deliberately. because it sounds like now that malformed XHTML files can be viewed, good books show an error.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_es View Post
Kovid - Does this mean that valid books showing errors is a new feature with .9.20? I am not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to figure out if books that are good everywhere else that now show an error in Calibre was done deliberately. because it sounds like now that malformed XHTML files can be viewed, good books show an error.
What I believe Kovid is saying is he put in some code so your epubs can be viewed even though they are technically malformed. Have you tried viewing those ePubs in 0.9.20?

Kovid also added this fix that will be out with 0.9.21, unsure if it applies to this thread.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-23-2013 at 07:59 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Kovid also added this fix that will be out with 0.9.21, unsure if it applies to this thread.
It does.