Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #46
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If it gets downloaded to your Kindle, it will try to update. I don't think it will work with your hacks installed, so you may be safe.

I have faith that someone will find a way to re-hack the screensavers, so I can wait.
I have the font hack installed and the Kindle went through the update process but when I go to the settings page "Update Your Kindle" is greyed out. The darker text is more important to me then the PDF support and since I do not run whispernet 24/7 the extra battery life does not mean much to me.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks, Nate T.G., got it!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #48
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I have the font hack installed and the Kindle went through the update process but when I go to the settings page "Update Your Kindle" is greyed out. The darker text is more important to me then the PDF support and since I do not run whispernet 24/7 the extra battery life does not mean much to me.
I'm with you. I would like better battery life but not at the expense of the readability that the font hack delivers to my tired old eyes. Wouldn't it be great if Amazon did something about darker text?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #49
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Hmmm..

I haven't installed it yet (cuz I'm busy reading), but I'm wondering if the 2.3 update is going to incorporate the new key encryption that the Kindle4PC uses? If that's the case and they completely switch to the new method, then only K1 users will be able to strip the DRM from their books, until we reverse the new "key scheduling" method.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #50
PiVi1962
PiVi1962 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Uploaded the new version.
1. I have a few books in the public domain uploaded as .MOBI files. If I try to upload them as .PDF files, I lose the Text-to-speech command.
2. In order to make .PDF files enjoyable on Kindle, it is better to resize the page to the Kindle's dimensions (the European A4 format creates unreadeable pages in the vertical format.

The .MOBI reader engine has changed:
- I have used the HTML command <table> to format right and left indents in .MOBI files. On the 2.2 version everything worked fine, now the same files are not shown correctly anymore. A long table skips to a new page and shows only the lines that fit the page: flipping the page just moves the page to the first line after the table, and does not show some lines of the text that stay now hidden. So I have to find a new way of showing left- and right-indented sentences correctly.

This is a warning that other features of your eBooks could be represented differently by moving from the version 2.2 to the version 2.3.
PiVi1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #51
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I wasn't aware of the "key scheduling" encryption. I hope clarknova is wrong, but I suspect he is not. I know ADE is updating their encryption as well, thanks to their partnership with Barnes & Noble. I doubt it will be too long before either is broken. As the popularity of ebooks increases, the time until someone breaks the encryption should become less.

Other than that I am rather enjoying this update. My Kindle 2 used to crash after waking up from the screensaver. I would expect something like this if I had hacked it, but I didn't bother installing any of the font hacks. At any rate I haven't seen this since the update.

Thanks,
Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #52
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The press release says:

The earlier version of the K2 is the K1. Unless they meant the US only K2 being the "earlier version"?

BOb
The 1.2 firmware on my Kindle 1 says it's version 299870016. I can't remember if I've gotten any messages lately that anything's been updated in the firmware on the device. "Update Your Kindle" is grayed out under Settings, so I assume I'm running the latest version. I'll try to transfer a PDF directly to my Kindle and see if it can read it.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #53
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
The 1.2 firmware on my Kindle 1 says it's version 299870016. I can't remember if I've gotten any messages lately that anything's been updated in the firmware on the device. "Update Your Kindle" is grayed out under Settings, so I assume I'm running the latest version. I'll try to transfer a PDF directly to my Kindle and see if it can read it.
The following is from Amazon's release,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Information for Kindle (1st Generation) Users

The most recent software update version of Kindle (1st Generation) is version 1.2. If you don't have it, you can download it here.
Or in other words. The Kindle 1 isn't getting this update.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #54
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiVi1962 View Post
This is a warning that other features of your eBooks could be represented differently by moving from the version 2.2 to the version 2.3.
Is there a way to roll back to version 2.2?
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #55
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I haven't installed it yet (cuz I'm busy reading), but I'm wondering if the 2.3 update is going to incorporate the new key encryption that the Kindle4PC uses? If that's the case and they completely switch to the new method, then only K1 users will be able to strip the DRM from their books, until we reverse the new "key scheduling" method.
I doubt it. But I am sure someone will let us know if that is the case.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #56
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
The following is from Amazon's release,

Or in other words. The Kindle 1 isn't getting this update.

Etienne66
Tried uploading a PDF to the Kindle directly. Didn't work. Drat!

Not a big enough deal that I'd upgrade, but the extra battery life would've been nice.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #57
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Am I the only one the KDX update fails? Half way through the update, the message says "Update was not successful!". I did factory reset before running the update, but still the update fails...Anyone has a clue?
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #58
coolgus
coolgus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
PDF support is really nice but unfortunately there is no zoom function. Many pdf files I tried had small text and only with zoom I can read it. Neither landscape helped.

Is there any zoom function for pdf files which I haven't found ?
coolgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just dragged and dropped a PDF into my K2 (original recipe). The message, "Some elements on this page could not be displayed" appeared, otherwise it worked fine (assuming you have Superman's microscopic vision). The page rotation works great, and it helps make the PDF a bit more readable for these eyes that have been around for nearly six decades, but it would be even better if PDFs could be viewed a single column at a time. For now, I'll stick to reading PDFs on computer.

Next, I think I'll download a graphic novel preview, and see if the page rotation makes that any easier to read.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #60
worsel60
worsel60 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My Kindle2 update failed twice. I deleted the update file off my computer and downloaded again from Amazon. I got a 17.5M file, not a 7.8M file as before. That one worked. Wait a few minutes before stopping the connection to make sure you get all of the update.
worsel60 is offline   Reply With Quote