Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
mopi74
mopi74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Weird cover image conversion

First image is the cover in the original epub / converted azw3, the second one is what I see in my Kindle Oasis.

What am I doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	180379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	180381  
mopi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is the output profile in Calibre set to tablet? If not, set it to tablet as that will not modify the graphics during a conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
mopi74
mopi74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I did what you suggested and got the same result.

So I went to Calibre Library folder, took file cover.jpg ed converted externally to a proper dimension for Kindle Oasis, then when I converted the epub to azw3 format I used the new cover.jpg... now it's ok.

So it's Calibre not being able to do a simple cover (image) conversion (as I did in 2 seconds with Win 10 Photo Viewer)... that's a bit embarrassing!!
mopi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopi74 View Post

So I went to Calibre Library folder, took file cover.jpg ed converted externally to a proper dimension for Kindle Oasis, then when I converted the epub to azw3 format I used the new cover.jpg... now it's ok.

So it's Calibre not being able to do a simple cover (image) conversion (as I did in 2 seconds with Win 10 Photo Viewer)... that's a bit embarrassing!!
If your output profile is set to Tablet, then the problem is the cover graphic or the Kindle because when set to Tablet, none of the graphics are changed.

When the cover doesn't display correctly, how does it display?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopi74 View Post

As far as I know, when calibre is not set to the tablet mode in the conversion page setup, the maximum image size is limited to the screen size shown when you hover over the output profile. Calibre will not increase the image size if it is smaller than that maximum. For the tablet profile since there is no maximum size, images will not be resized. That is left up to the user when you update your ebook metadata, change the cover, etc.

I find that preferable to ending up with a thumbnail sized cover image blown up to poster size giving a horribly pixelated result.

What is embarrassing is an ereader that unable to properly handle a cover image when it is not fitted to the screen size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the_colour_of_magic_S.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	180407   Click image for larger version

Name:	the_colour_of_magic_L.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	667.4 KB
ID:	180408  

Last edited by DNSB; 07-05-2020 at 04:40 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Remember, once used, Conversion settings are saved with each of the books details.
Changing in Preferences only affects NEW 1st time Book conversions.

1) Use the conversion start dialog to make changes for that book only
2) Use the button (single mode) or tick box (bulk mode), to reset the books conversion setting to Current Preferences
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote