Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Populating 'details' info for Kindle index?

I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if there's a way to populate the 'details' section of the Kindle periodical grid index when writing a recipe.

I've noticed that some recipes do this automatically and others don't, but I can't seem to figure out how to trigger this behaviour for the ones that don't (Le Monde screenshot attached). I personally find the 'details' very useful when deciding whether to read an article or not. Generally, the 'details' are just the first words of the article body.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-21T14_43_29-0200.gif
Views:	329
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	92721   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-21T14_42_33-0200.gif
Views:	279
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	92722  

Last edited by veezh; 09-21-2012 at 08:57 AM.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have to fill in the description field of the article objects returned from parse_index(), that is used to fill in that area.

If your recipe uses RSS then you would have to implement parse_feeds() and do the same thing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Thank you for your quick reply and tip, Kovid. I really appreciate it and will have a closer look at parse_index() this evening.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
andrewp
andrewp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Populating the description fields

Is there an example of a (without username and password) recipe that populates the description field so I can test it on my Kindle Touch?

Also is there a way of adding in thumbnails to that periodical grid?
andrewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
Is there an example of a (without username and password) recipe that populates the description field so I can test it on my Kindle Touch?

Also is there a way of adding in thumbnails to that periodical grid?
Look at the standard recipe nytimes in handle_article which looks for an article summary and includes it if present, and populate_article_metadata which adds the thumbnail photo and creates an article summary if one wasn't found in the index.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
andrewp

Populating the description fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
Look at the standard recipe nytimes in handle_article which looks for an article summary and includes it if present, and populate_article_metadata which adds the thumbnail photo and creates an article summary if one wasn't found in the index.
Hi Nick,
Thanks for responding to a beginner!
OK there is obviously a different problem then. When I download the NY Times (full recipe that comes with Calibre and needs a username and password) I get this (Kindle Touch):

Am I doing something wrong with the conversion to MOBI? I use all the default settings apart from on the page set up tab where I choose the Kindle as the output profile.

My MOBI file (sorry its 5MB!) from the NY Times is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no_details.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	93428  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi New York Times - calibre.mobi (5.44 MB, 232 views)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Hi Nick,
Thanks for responding to a beginner!
OK there is obviously a different problem then. When I download the NY Times (full recipe that comes with Calibre and needs a username and password) I get this (Kindle Touch):

Am I doing something wrong with the conversion to MOBI? I use all the default settings apart from on the page set up tab where I choose the Kindle as the output profile.

My MOBI file (sorry its 5MB!) from the NY Times is attached.
I ran the standard ny times recipe from the latest calibre and all the summaries and thumbnail photos are there, so I can only assume your edition of calibre is way out of date.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
andrewp

Nick,

I am running 0.9.1

Do your summaries and thumbnails appear on a kindle touch?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

I don't have a Kindle Touch (I have a Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Fire), so if you are not seeing the article thumbnails and descriptions then it's the Touch news reader that's the problem. Have you tried other "views"? I see there is an icon at the top of your screenshot that suggest other views are available.

Last edited by nickredding; 10-08-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
andrewp

Nick,

The other "view" just gives a text list of categories and you can touch each category to see the articles in each category.
Images are fine in the articles.

Could you see whether my mobi file has thumbnails and details on your kindle fire?

The Telegraph that I have downloaded as a kindle purchase has thumbnails and details.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

I did look at the file you posted and it was lacking the descriptions and thumbnail photos, so I guessed you were using an old version of calibre. If you generated that with calibre there is something wrong with your recipe or installation because it works for me.

EDIT: I just loaded your mobi again and I see it has the redundant "Next | Section Menu | Main Menu | Previous" navigation at the top of the first page of each article. This means you didn't have the output profile set to Kindle because if you did that navigation bar wouldn't be there. So I suggest you make sure your output profile is set to Kindle and try again (although I'm not aware of any differences the profile determines except the removal of this redundant navigation)

Last edited by nickredding; 10-08-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #12
andrewp

Hi Nick,
I tried Calibre on my laptop which had preferences set for the preffered output format set to MOBI and everything was fine- images etc all come through.
When I set that setting on my desktop everything comes through fine.

Many thanks for your help.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
andrewp

Nick,

This is probably not the right place to ask this....but I did look and couldn't find anywhere obvious....

I am involved in publishing a not for profit Christian Newspaper (it does have a UK charity number) I am not sure of how the GNU licence applies to making ebooks from the newspaper articles.

Are we allowed to use Calibre to make a MOBI file and then sell the MOBI file?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Are we allowed to use Calibre to make a MOBI file and then sell the MOBI file?
Yes, you are. The GPL has no bearing on the output produced by calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
andrewp

Many thanks to you all! :-)