Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Bob Rose
Bob Rose began at the beginning.

Free e-books Sites ?

Hello,

Really know nothing about e-books, but it certainly, IMHO, is going to be a major force in the future.

Son received a Palm Z-22 Organizer.
It's a true organizer, but apparently you can download and read e-books on it.

There is also apparently a Palm store, just like the one for the Sony reader which I came across. But, I understand there are also places where one can download free e-books.

Question: can someone please recommend a few of the good sites where it is possible to download Free e-books ?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Eventually, it will be possible to download them here as we expand our free online book formats to more then just for the Sony Reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
In the meantime, you might find Project Gutenberg, and Manybooks of interest. They have more or less the same set of books at both, but Manybooks serves them up to order in a bunch of formats, which means you'll do less conversion to get them on your Palm. There are other sites, of course, but those two are a good place to start.

If your son likes Sci-Fi, I'd also recommend Baen Publishing's Webscriptions service, it's not a free site, but the stuff is recent releases, the prices are quite reasonable, and there's no DRM on any of it, and they do offer a couple of formats in their standard set that will run on a Palm without any conversion, which is nice.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Hi

may I suggest you to use DigitalReading Search that is available at the following address:
http://search.digitalreading.net
and also on
http://www.digitalreading.net

You can search for any topic, all results will be ebooks that are categorized as either free or non-free.

It uses Google to search sites like Project Gurenberg and ManyBooks.net - mentioned above - and others as well.

Regards

Sic.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
If your son likes Sci-Fi, I'd also recommend Baen Publishing's Webscriptions service, it's not a free site, but the stuff is recent releases, the prices are quite reasonable, and there's no DRM on any of it, and they do offer a couple of formats in their standard set that will run on a Palm without any conversion, which is nice.
Couldn't agree more. Baen are the "good guys" in the eBook publishing business, and deserve everybody's support. I've bought every monthly "webscription" since they began (and read about 10% of them at present) purely on principle because I think they're doing such a good job (yes, I've even paid for the ghastly "Kildar" series, even though I no intention of reading the awful thing ).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Paying for it and never downloading it might just send them two messages, Harry!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Trouble is it's all mixed up with other webscriptions books that I do want . I generally download the monthly "package" rather than the individual books.

No, I certainly want to do my bit to support John Ringo as an eBook author even though I hate these particular books; I love his other stuff.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Vorpal Blade, and I hope he'll do some more with the Council War series. I'd like to see what happens to folks when the war is over and they go back to "normal" life -- I bet that'll take some adjustment.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Before you buy the ebooks from Baen, you should go here and get some of them for free. You have no obligation to pay for them, they are free to download and distribute.

Then, after you have found which ones you like, go buy them. It's the decent thing to do.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But, would Beaen give permission for these books to be distributed as LRF conversions for the Sony Reader?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Probably not, though I have toyed with the idea of forwarding them a few of the ones I've converted to see what they think of them.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
And then there is Plucker. Download the plucker reader for your Palm. Download the Plucker desktop for your PC. Then you can "pluck" websites and convert them to Plucker format and read them on your Palm. Very handy when you find a readable html book on the web, or for news sites!

Then there is the Palm-Pilot E-Text Web Ring. Go for it!
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, would Beaen give permission for these books to be distributed as LRF conversions for the Sony Reader?
Not the ones on the CDs, no. But if enough people pester Arnold Bailey, he will eventually add LRF as a standard format.

Basically, you would need to get people who have bought books from webscriptions to send emails to him and ask for the new format for their Sony Reader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, that could probably be arranged.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But, it's just as easy to convert to LRF. Takes like 5 min tops on most Bean books.