Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
macr0t0r
Connoisseur
macr0t0r doesn't littermacr0t0r doesn't litter

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader
Question Request for eReader sub-forum

I could've sworn this was already requested, but I can't find it. To be clear, I'm referring to the eReader format, which is a derivative of the old Peanut Press PDB files.

While I agree that the eReader format is "old," it is still seeing an awful lot of action lately. It's become the primary format for Barnes&Noble (after buying Fictionwise), and is supported by nearly all LCD devices: Symbian, Blackberry, iPhone (3 separate apps!), Mac, Windows, Android, WinMobile....did I miss any? Oh, and the Nook will support it as well, and I hear the Fox reader will also include it in a future update. Calibre also now works with this format.

Currently, there are eReader posts all over the "Other Formats" subforum. It's a mess to find them since I have to use search. Since it appears this format is sticking around and support for it is actually growing, could we please have a separate sub-forum for it? I think it deserves it.

Admittedly, it's my favorite format. It's the only DRM that doesn't thoroughly tick me off, and it's easy to create non-drm content (ePub is tad overly complex right now).

Ah yes, and let me close this by saying thanks for this site! I've been hanging around since iSilo was big!

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I would love an eReader forum, too. I read some of the threads on how to create books in eReader format, and my head is still spinning. It was easy to convert text files for the Palm because I could just convert the books into Palm doc format, and eReader or MobiPocket or iSilo (or iSoloMio) or whatever could read them. But eReader format itself was another thing entirely.

Then again, if epub works well, maybe I could learn to convert to that... But I'm a heretic -- I haven't read anything in epub yet!
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use Calibre to convert to eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can use Calibre to convert to eReader.
I can't get that sucker to work, either. I'll try again once my dead laptop comes back from the grave (preferably in the form of a shiny new machine). I tried it on this computer first, and I think the poor program choked out the words, "You have how many e-books?!"
Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use the command line instead of the GUI. I have never yet used the GUI for content conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use the command line instead of the GUI. I have never yet used the GUI for content conversion.
Eek! Command lines! I remember those. Well, I'll have to see if I remember how to do that... It will be like using my Tandy 1000 again.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
macr0t0r
Connoisseur
macr0t0r doesn't littermacr0t0r doesn't litter

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader
My point is simply that there are multiple eReader threads scattered everywhere and it is a valid format. Not only is the eReader supported on Palm, Blackberry, WinMobile, Symbian, and Android, but it supports Windows and Macs, and will now be supported by the Nook and the Foxit e-ink readers. It is the primary format for Fictionwise, Ereader, Barnes and Noble, and the new Foxit ebook store. It is a format supported by Calibre, OpenOffice, and a couple other text editors, it's well documented in the Wiki, and it contains features that ePub still lacks, such as proper footnote/sidebar support, dictionary look-up and indexing.

The eReader format is widespread, well-supported, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

What's frustrating is that there use to be an eReader sub-forum, but it was declared a dying format. No big deal, as technology can be unpredictable. But, I think it's time to realize that it was pulled prematurely and should be re-instated.

Mind you, this is a thoroughly biased view. It's my favorite format and most of my ebooks are in that format.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline   Reply With Quote