Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #316
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
12-13 inch tablets:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/article...pple-tests.htm

http://www.knowyourmobile.in/samsung...s-13-inch-ipad

That means the Mobius would be competing against similarly sized tablets.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #317
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Thank you very much. Consider how much it will cost and how great will be the danger of breaking it. And then what? The warranty does not cover breaking the screen.
For me, a mobile device of that size has to be flexible. Like Mobius.

On the other hand, I know nothing about tablet screens, maybe some armorer unbreakable glass can be used? But what would be the weight then?
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #318
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Thank you very much. Consider how much it will cost and how great will be the danger of breaking it. And then what? The warranty does not cover breaking the screen.
For me, a mobile device of that size has to be flexible. Like Mobius.

On the other hand, I know nothing about tablet screens, maybe some armorer unbreakable glass can be used? But what would be the weight then?
I have a Sony Vaio Duo, which is a PC/convertible tablet with a 13.3" screen. It uses a gorilla glass screen and the keyboard cannot be removed (slide-out). The gorilla glass is supposed to be extremely sturdy. That unit weighs 1.3kg, apparently the use of carbon fibre keeps the weight down. So expect a weight of 800-1000g for a pure tablet. I am not worried about breaking the screen. The weight is fine for two handed use or when proping it up on my chest in bed. All depends on how you use your tablet. A 13" tablet probably doesn't have a very wide appeal. I like an All-in-One.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #319
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Interesting. Interesting how thick it is.
I probably could put that whole Vaio 13 in its tablet configuration on a stand-alone music stand or on the music stand of a piano.
For example, it sits on a digital piano, shows pdf sheet music and perhaps simultaneously provides a virtual instrument to play that sheet music with.
Or a sequencer.

When 13.3" tablets are available, that might be even better - a thinner lighter thing.
Provided it is possible to attach to such a tablet an external ergonomic keyboard when needed. I don't know how to use any other keyboards except Kinesis Contoured/Advantage.

Last edited by parkher; 07-24-2013 at 12:38 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #320
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Interesting. Interesting how thick it is.
I probably could put that whole Vaio 13 in its tablet configuration on a stand-alone music stand or on the music stand of a piano.
For example, it sits on a digital piano, shows pdf sheet music and perhaps simultaneously provides a virtual instrument to play that sheet music with.
Or a sequencer.

When 13.3" tablets are available, that might be even better - a thinner lighter thing.
Provided it is possible to attach to such a tablet an external ergonomic keyboard when needed. I don't know how to use any other keyboards except Kinesis Contoured/Advantage.
The Sony might be overkill for such an application, you could use a cheaper option with detachable keyboard and Atom processor --- in case Android/iOS tablets in the 13" range don't materialize.

You can check the exact dimensions on the Sony website.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #321
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...y-end-of-year/

E-ink has already announced the upcoming mass-production of a new screen based on the Mobius tech. Could this new announcement be related. Maybe the new Sony will use this tech in their next device.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #322
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post

E-ink has already announced the upcoming mass-production of a new screen based on the Mobius tech. Could this new announcement be related. Maybe the new Sony will use this tech in their next device.
Doesn't have to mean anything, since every Ereader will eventuall adopt the new mobius screen because of improved stability and weight!

The next Kindle will definitely have it.

It doesn't mean that they are only mass-producing it because of the sony 13" slate
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #323
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Doesn't have to mean anything, since every Ereader will eventuall adopt the new mobius screen because of improved stability and weight!
If it's the successor to Eink Pearl, sure. Every manufacturer will use it sooner or later then.

But keep in mind that Eink Mobius was developed by Eink Corporation with Sony. Sony is developing the technology other manufacturers use years later. That's the reason why some people prefer the original Sony Reader over other digital reading devices.

Last edited by medard; 07-27-2013 at 07:55 AM.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #324
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post

I don't expect to see it this year though.

Next year we could also see Plastic logic's similar flexible e-ink display in variety of companies.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/applications/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZ9aefdNUU

Last edited by markom; 07-27-2013 at 08:09 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #325
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Ooops. While watching the Plastic Logic demo video on youTube an idea came up to my mind that I'd like to come true. From Sony, of course.

I'd like to have a case just as the standard Sony case without light, but for two Sony Reader. And then I'd switch a button somewhere and these two combined Reader would act as the two visible pages of a book.

That would save me some time; 50% less pressing the "Nex Page" button, 50% less waiting for a page refresh, I could read much faster then.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #326
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
I don't expect to see it this year though.

Next year we could also see Plastic logic's similar flexible e-ink display in variety of companies.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/applications/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZ9aefdNUU
Plastic Logic Technology seems to be inferior to E-Inks Pearl/Mobius technology.

At 10.7" a resolution of 1280x960 (150 ppi) is pretty substandard for a reader of the future, it is about the same as the current Onyx M92 Generation..

I currently own a Hanvon E920 with 9.7" Display and 1600x1200 (200 ppi)

I atleast expect more screen real estate with the sony slate 13" which is also 150 ppi, but weighs little and is more durable than my current reader

Last edited by gamba66; 07-27-2013 at 08:45 AM.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #327
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Ooops. While watching the Plastic Logic demo video on youTube an idea came up to my mind that I'd like to come true. From Sony, of course.

I'd like to have a case just as the standard Sony case without light, but for two Sony Reader. And then I'd switch a button somewhere and these two combined Reader would act as the two visible pages of a book.

That would save me some time; 50% less pressing the "Nex Page" button, 50% less waiting for a page refresh, I could read much faster then.
But it would be bulkier and heavier and likely cost twice as much.

Personally I don't like reading a double paged image on a tablet or even on a computer screen. The time not spent waiting for a page might not be as great as you think, I perceive it to take longer for my eyes to travel from bottom right to top left of the next page. Probably this is not true, but it seems that way to me. And there are newer screens with a faster refresh rate rumoured to be around the corner.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #328
Rizla
Member Retired

T2 on sale:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212050