Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
jetBook formats questions

Since the jetBook supports both ePub and Mobipocket, I expect that those are the two formats I will be downloading the most.

1) Is there a reason I should prefer one over the other?

2) Is there any reason to segregate the two formats on my SD card or the device?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
1) I believe ePUB is becoming more of a standard. Personally, I prefer it because it is simply a zipped file of HTML. That makes it rather nice to deal with both now and in the future.

2) No need to segregate.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Since the jetBook supports both ePub and Mobipocket, I expect that those are the two formats I will be downloading the most.

1) Is there a reason I should prefer one over the other?

2) Is there any reason to segregate the two formats on my SD card or the device?
1) No. I suspect the renderer in the jetBook firmware, which seems to be a stripped(!?) version of FBreader, ignores most information, and treats all formats like text, with a few minor markup tags (headings 1-3, italic, and not much more). They'll wind up looking almost exactly alike.

2) None I know of.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
I second the the .epub and I only seperate by author with different formats all in the same directory. I have .txt, .epub, .pdf all the the same folders
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys!
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I read in the Lord of the Rings thread that there are limitations to image filesize in mobi. Therefore, the images in ePUB or LIT for LotR are vastly superior to the mobi images. Something to take into consideration. (I bought LIT and converted to ePUB)
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
ac9ts
Enthusiast
ac9ts began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
So, other then embedded images, is there an advantage to any format over a plain text file? All the books that came with the JB are text and work fine. If I go through a book and know there are no images, would it be best to just convert it to text or is there something I'm missing with epub, mobi, etc.
ac9ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Personally I'm fond of rtf's and plain txt files.
For me it started when I was converting .lit files, seemed I lost less formating, had fewer problems if I converted them to .rtf.

But then I don't buy many books, so I have not had to sweat stuff like Epub or DRM.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

The jetBook Lite manual recommends text. I was surprised to see that.

I too have had no problems with the included books.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
ePub

Ghosthawk,

I've been reading Gutenberg text files for years, but run a macro to eliminate the hard returns that prevent proper screen wrapping and to install paragraph indents.

When I got my Jetbook Lite, I tried Gutenberg's EPub documents and they look great, are half the filesize, and have some basic formatting enhancements like larger fonts for titles etc. Try a few.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I'll do that ron, ty for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
Ghosthawk,

I've been reading Gutenberg text files for years, but run a macro to eliminate the hard returns that prevent proper screen wrapping and to install paragraph indents.

When I got my Jetbook Lite, I tried Gutenberg's EPub documents and they look great, are half the filesize, and have some basic formatting enhancements like larger fonts for titles etc. Try a few.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote