Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just saw the PRS-700

I took a trip to the SonyStyle shp today and saw the 700.

The 700 is faster. The touch screen is nice. But the touch screen covers the Vizplex screen and makes the eink look less black and more gray. The screen does reflect in a more mirror like manner. Compared to the 505, the 505 looks better. The eink is blacker and the reflections are defused. The problem is the touch screen.

I'm thinking the touch screen layer is not flat against the Vizplex screen and that space causes the light to get diffused when it passes through the touch screen. It might be better if the touch screen was flat against the Vizplex screen. But without being able to see that, there's no way to know hoe much better.

So for now, the 700's screen just doesn't really cut it in terms of clarity & contrast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I've observed several things about my 700 which may or may not be valid -- I think the touch screen is above the lights, which are between the eink screen and the touch screen. With the lights on, it's easy to see that the eink is most likely the same as the 505.

I've also observed that when the interactive dialogs appear, they're on the touchscreen and not on the eink screen, making them look different from the eink screen.

At least that's how it appears to me.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I've observed several things about my 700 which may or may not be valid -- I think the touch screen is above the lights, which are between the eink screen and the touch screen. With the lights on, it's easy to see that the eink is most likely the same as the 505.

I've also observed that when the interactive dialogs appear, they're on the touchscreen and not on the eink screen, making them look different from the eink screen.

At least that's how it appears to me.
Next time I am near the SonyStyle Store, I'll have to stop in and take a look again and see the dialogs. I didn't notice or not. So it could be the touchscreen layer is LCD?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Next time I am near the SonyStyle Store, I'll have to stop in and take a look again and see the dialogs. I didn't notice or not. So it could be the touchscreen layer is LCD?
It looks like it to me -- the coloring is definitely not like the reading screen.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
JasonWalton
JasonWalton is on a distinguished road

Device: None
If you're in Ottawa, the Bayshore store now has a PRS-700 on demo. It's the one I returned. :P

For those who have 700s on order, let me make one thing clear; The display is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. It is a beautiful display, it's just not as good as the 505. If I were buying for me, I might have even kept it, but buying for my wife, I know she'll want the nicer screen (and the lighter, thinner 505).

The Sony Stores in Ottawa don't have the 700s yet, but I got one on pre-order. I dropped by the Sony store, and opened up my PRS-700 so I could compare against their demo 505. I had all four employees gathered around me, and a few customers. It felt kind of strange to be demoing Sony products for Sony employees.

The contrast on the 700 wasn't as bad as some of the photos I've seen on this site, although it is slightly worse than the 505. Igorsk had some photos up which I can't find at the moment, but which I think accurately show it. (On a side note, the Sony Store had two PRS-505's out, and I actually noticed some slight contrast differences between the two 505s; one had a slightly lighter background.) The 700's glare was worse than the 505, but I think plenty acceptable.

The photos which show the 700 as being slightly "fuzzy" are accurate. There is also a gap between the touch screen and the surface of the e-ink display, presumably for the lighting, which gives the display some "depth", and makes it much more noticeable that there's a sheet of glass in front of the display. I think best way I can describe it is; the 505 almost looks like you're looking at a sheet of paper, whereas with the gap and the fuzziness, the 700 looks more like a screen.
JasonWalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Yeah, I'd have to say that the material used for the front lighting and the pressure sensors does tend to make the screen look softer than the 505. It isn't nearly as bad as I expected though, and I found it quite usable, even for usually difficult content with small text.

What does bug me is the glare. I'm ordering an anti-glare sheet for my laptop soonish, and I'll probably get a custom-cut sheet from them to see if it will help the PRS-700 as well.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
What does bug me is the glare. I'm ordering an anti-glare sheet for my laptop soonish, and I'll probably get a custom-cut sheet from them to see if it will help the PRS-700 as well.
Let us know it that impacts the contrast and clarity any. If it doesn't that might be a game changer for me. The clarify I can adapt to, but the glare was distracting me.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
Let us know it that impacts the contrast and clarity any. If it doesn't that might be a game changer for me. The clarify I can adapt to, but the glare was distracting me.
Will do. I just placed the order a little bit ago. It would be ~21$ to get it custom-cut. A tad on the expensive side, but worth a shot anyways. It was the best anti-glare sheet they had.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Just received the anti-glare material. No-go.

Just as unreadable, and just diffused the glare across a larger area. Seems that it simply doesn't work without a light coming from behind (works great on my laptop though).