Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #46
fireland
fireland began at the beginning.

Device: iPad3, iPad mini, iPhone 4S
Thanks Faterson, that clears it up. I have 2.4 on the iPads and they are popluated as before. So, I guess after dinner I´ll do the backup suggested by Phil and then go from there.

Again, many thanks you guys!

(Having the universal version with the same number as the old one seems a bit confusing, but then I know nothing of development or the app store. )
fireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #47
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireland View Post
(Having the universal version with the same number as the old one seems a bit confusing, but then I know nothing of development or the app store. )

I think it's OK, because Marvin Universal and Marvin for iPad really are 100% identical as of today. So, the same version number makes sense.

But, Marvin for iPad will remain frozen in this 2.4 state forever, while Marvin Universal will see Marvin's further development. It will be faster now, thanks to being a universal app. (And it always takes longer for 2 apps -- iPad and iPhone separately -- to get Apple's approval for App Store release, than for 1 universal app.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #48
fireland

I understand and fully support the idea of a universal app. I'm just having trouble getting it. And for now, they aren't identical. Oh well. Nothing's easy in this life. Just thought an app upgrade/version change might be. Suppose I'll have to pony up another $5 to get the themes back as well if they're different apps.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #49
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
After downloading the universal version from the App Store the download button (the one that says "Free" inside) should turn to "Update" immediately after the download is complete. Tap "update" and you should get the right version. If this isn't fixed by tomorrow I'll contact Apple support.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #50
Lancer_325
Lancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPhone
Hey Kris. Congrats on year one. ( I'm the guy whose been emailing you about the notes issue). I so love marvin and it's my only ebook reader now and I've told all my family and friends about it so keep up the excellent work. Took me a while to figure out which was the universal app but when I got it the transition worked like a dream. The tighter margins in the app will take a little bit of getting used to but overall I'm loving it. Again well done. David.
Lancer_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #51
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer_325 View Post
The tighter margins in the app will take a little bit of getting used to but overall I'm loving it.

Tighter margins? There is no difference in functionality between the new and old Marvin, regarding margins. Perhaps your settings did not get transferred properly. You can set up your new Marvin Universal to look exactly like the older Marvin for iPad. After all, they are exactly the same software at this point.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #52
fireland

Success

I managed to sort out my download woes, but the Argentina App Store is doing some weird stuff. On my computer version of iTunes and the store, the problem continues as I mentioned in my earlier posts. All showing as downloaded and unavailable.

When I went to the store via my iPad, the new universal version was available for download. Got it without a hitch. When I did the same with the iPad mini, it was available, but it downloaded 2.3 of the iPhone version as was evident on opening it. However, almost immediately there was an update available. Now all seems to be as it should. Very strange.

Again thanks to all for your help!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #53
Lancer_325
Lancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Tighter margins? There is no difference in functionality between the new and old Marvin, regarding margins. Perhaps your settings did not get transferred properly. You can set up your new Marvin Universal to look exactly like the older Marvin for iPad. After all, they are exactly the same software at this point.
Nope I def have a tighter margin when I open a book. I've the universal on the ipad mini now and the margins are much bigger
Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #54
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Wow, after reading this thread I guess I should be more impressed that my mom figured this all out on her own. She did call me once, but I was busy and told her I would have to call her back later. Before I could, she messaged me to say she had got it all sorted out. Go, Mom!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #55
Lancer_325

Ok I think I have seen what the problem is. The iPhone app is being made available as the ipad version on my version of the App Store. Idrover seemed to have the same problem. I do not see the universal download for the ipad and the one I do download opens as the iPhone app thus giving me the black borders Idrover spoke about. That's what I meant about the tighter margins.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #56
Lancer_325

Quote:
I'm going to correct myself: if you have version 2.4 on your iPhone, it's definitely the universal version. Because no other version exists. (And that's why App Store apparently at least attempted to send the universal version automatically to your iPad as well.)

On your iPad, telling the two Marvins apart is easy, actually, despite them being identical. If your Library in Marvin 2.4 on iPad is initially empty, that's the new iPad Universal. If your Library in Marvin 2.4 on iPad is populated with books, it's the old Marvin for iPad, and you should perform the migration: http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/67661991764
It's a pity some of us downloaded what we were led to believe was the ipad universal app and did the migration to what we believed was the universal version. Because then we deleted the old ipad Marvin app only to discover we had the iPhone app and had to start all over again. Now I have what I think is the universal ipad version (2.4) unpopulated but I have nothing to restore to having deleted the old marvin app. So I have to build the library back up again minus notes and highlights. Why is this so complicated?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #57
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Wow, after reading this thread I guess I should be more impressed that my mom figured this all out on her own. She did call me once, but I was busy and told her I would have to call her back later. Before I could, she messaged me to say she had got it all sorted out. Go, Mom!
Big ups to your Mom for figuring this out on her own cause it took me a minute to figure this out. I'm impressed!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #58
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

See, Lancer_325, there are no tighter margins. Moreover, it wasn't necessary to delete your only existing library. All you needed were two copies of Marvin at the same time, and you could have pushed the backup file between them until you got it where it belonged. For example, you could have made a backup from that mistakenly received iPhone version, too, then send it to (for example) the old Marvin for iPad (after reinstalling it just for the sake of temporarily storing the backup file).

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but it was not Marvin who made this complicated for you... App Store is to blame, having sent you the incorrect iPhone version, thus disrupting the quick & easy process of switching to the new Marvin version.

Attached is a screenshot showing three Marvins happily coexisting on my iPad currently: new universal Marvin, original Marvin for iPad, and Marvin Free. This allows me to have three books open in Marvin at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	648.8 KB
ID:	115563  
Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #59
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
It looks like Apple has gotten its act together because I have just been able to restore my pink theme.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #60
Lancer_325

Quote:
See, Lancer_325, there are no tighter margins. Moreover, it wasn't necessary to delete your only existing library. All you needed were two copies of Marvin at the same time, and you could have pushed the backup file between them until you got it where it belonged. For example, you could have made a backup from that mistakenly received iPhone version, too, then send it to (for example) the old Marvin for iPad (after reinstalling it just for the sake of temporarily storing the backup file).

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but it was not Marvin who made this complicated for you... App Store is to blame, having sent you the incorrect iPhone version, thus disrupting the quick & easy process of switching to the new Marvin version.

Attached is a screenshot showing three Marvins happily coexisting on my iPad currently: new universal Marvin, original Marvin for iPad, and Marvin Free. This allows me to have three books open in Marvin at the same time.
I know I know. I wasn't implying marvin was to blame. I know it was the App Store. Sigh I'll get over it. Thanks for the help.