Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Cough... there used to be no easy way to do this for Mobipocket books. But now there's my Python script and AppleScript wrapper that make replacing the cover on a Mobipocket book extremely simple on Mac and relatively simple on Windows/Linux.
Can you make it fail on Penguin eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you make it fail on Penguin eBooks?
Feel free to edit it yourself to make a check on the Publisher metadata before performing the cover replacement.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Come to think of it I have the "Earth Children" series by Jean M. Auel and 5 out of the 6 books came with a generic cover. It seemed strange but after I start a book I don't really look at the cover anymore so I kind of shrugged it off and forgot about it.
Probably true for most people.
But some ebook readers use the book cover as the standby or power-off image so the generic Penguin covers end up as an ad screen.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In which case you should deactivate the book cover as a standby or power-off image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Probably true for most people.
But some ebook readers use the book cover as the standby or power-off image so the generic Penguin covers end up as an ad screen.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
If you are paying for a book, the least they can do is give you a decent cover!

Especially with the prices they charge!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #36
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Come to think of it I have the "Earth Children" series by Jean M. Auel and 5 out of the 6 books came with a generic cover. It seemed strange but after I start a book I don't really look at the cover anymore so I kind of shrugged it off and forgot about it.
I use Mac OS X and my QuickLook plugin for Kindle/Mobipocket means that having the right cover is very useful when looking through files on my computer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No argument here my friend. I actually would go even farther to "show" them that they cannot con me in a book purchase deal by not giving me a decent product. But this cannot be spoken freely of in the forum sadly. So I suppose that each has to deal with it as best he/she see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
If you are paying for a book, the least they can do is give you a decent cover!

Especially with the prices they charge!
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #38
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Not to rain too much on Jon's rant, but Penguin is not the only publisher to paste generic bookcovers to their ebooks.

A quick look at my Calibre library of Kindle books shows Tor, Knopf, Simon and Schuster, Harper Collins (all my Discworld books), Delcorte Press, and Anchor Books/Random House.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #39
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Possibility:
You're buying Kindle books and convert them for Sony. This may discard the thumbnail cover view (which is not identical to the cover that is in the beginning, which is indeed very often a generic Penguin logo) or your reader simply doesnt support them...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Not to rain too much on Jon's rant, but Penguin is not the only publisher to paste generic bookcovers to their ebooks.
It's safe to say the big six all do it on some books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #41
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Penguin is probably the publisher that spends the most time and effort on its covers.

Which book?
Utter failure to have even the most vague valley girl blonde type concept of the definition of "Effort".
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post

A quick look at my Calibre library of Kindle books shows Tor, Knopf, Simon and Schuster, Harper Collins (all my Discworld books), Delcorte Press, and Anchor Books/Random House.
I know this. But Penguin is the only one to use a generic cover with NO TEXT AT ALL so you don't get the title of the book or even the author. Penguin goes two steps further into generic covers. So if you are using a cover browser or look at thumbnails of the cover, you may very well get indistinguishable covers.

A lot of people do not remove the DRM or use Calibre to manage content. So they get stuck with a cover that is the exact same as some other Penguin eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-01-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know this. But Penguin is the only one to use a generic cover with NO TEXT AT ALL so you don't get the title of the book or even the author...
Wow, that is cheap.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just purchased Cold Days from Kobo. It looks like it has a cover (it showed up in ADE with a cover).

When I do "Item Info" in ADE, there is a blurb that says "The Document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorrectly". Scrolling through the ebook in ADE, it looks fine.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I just purchased Cold Days from Kobo. It looks like it has a cover (it showed up in ADE with a cover).

When I do "Item Info" in ADE, there is a blurb that says "The Document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorrectly". Scrolling through the ebook in ADE, it looks fine.
ADE tends to ignore some errors. But other apps might not. Since ADE says there are errors, there are errors that should not be in the ePub.

Can someone with an original unmodified (other then just the DRM removed) ePub version of Cold Days please run it through ePubCheck and FlightCrew (standalone version, not the one built into Sigil) please check this and report back what errors have been found?