Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've read the Honor Harrington series twice now (the first time without the anthologies and the second time with) - both times I've stalled out after book 9. Hubby, who has read the entire series multiple times, says it is info/emotional overload. It is very easy to get burned out, especially after books 8 & 9.

I'm not sure when I'll try finishing the series again.

I do want to try Safehold, however.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #32
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If the HH series information overload burned you out, then don't waste your money on the Safehold series. The information overload is much worse and begins in the first book. I've read the 6 books so far in the series (it's looking like it will be at least another 6 books before it is close to concluding), and each is overly long largely because of the excessive detail Weber provides. It's almost as if he has lost his way as regards what fiction writing is about.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you for the warning! We already own 5 of the books, as hubby read that series as well. I'll have to ask if he plans to continue.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
specsavage
specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I have a method to deal with the "infodumps"---just skim over them. For the most part, they aren't necessary to the story, rather like sex scenes in romantic suspense. Spice and filler, for the most part.

The Honor Harrington series is worth reading, but I've never been able to get into the Safehold series. Tried to read the first book four times, and gave up.
specsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Safehold 1 starts slow but has lots of action if you can make it throught the slow parts.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert