Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook Reader on your iOS device?
Stanza 3.2 31 44.29%
Stanza 3.1 5 7.14%
Megareader 7 10.00%
Bluefire Reader 21 30.00%
ReadMe 2 2.86%
Shubooks 6 8.57%
MobiEbook 1 1.43%
Kobo 16 22.86%
Kindle 36 51.43%
Other (post name and link to it below) 18 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Stanza Replacement: Who has one, and what is it?

I'm still using the half broken Stanza on my iPhone, but sooner or later I will update my iPhone from 3GS to 5 when its released next year and then, there will have to be something else to read with.

What are people using, and how do you find it (detail please) by comparison with Stanza? It seems I can post a poll so I will do that too, with the readers I have found, and tried.

I've voted Stanza 3.2 and ReadMe. I'd like to switch permanently to ReadMe, its very much like Stanza, but the developers are not responsive to emails (in fact they completely ignore them) and I rather think Readme may end up dead as well.

I know there are some I have left out... Blio and Tomes being two I can think of right now, but the poll could have become endless...

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-27-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Extra info
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
You left out iBooks as well. I mainly use Kobo for epubs and Kindle for mobi, although I have been using iBooks more now that actually has night mode
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
You left out iBooks as well. I mainly use Kobo for epubs and Kindle for mobi, although I have been using iBooks more now that actually has night mode
ROFL how daft of me. Yes, iBooks is definitely a contender!!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Stanza, Bluefire, Kindle and itunes. I primarily use Stanza and Kindle.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Still rocking Stanza:
iPod Touch (4.3.5): Stanza 3.1
iPhone 4 (5.0.1): Stanza 3.2
iPhone 4S (5.0.1): Stanza 3.2 (brother's)

I've got a bunch of other readers installed on my iOS devices. Unfortunately, I've found no reader on iOS that can yet compare to Stanza in terms of organization - essential when you've got a library of close to 3,000 titles. If/when an iOS version is released that breaks Stanza compatibility again and no suitable replacement is available (and my iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and my brother's iPhone 4S stops working or something), I'm switching over to Android.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
mkelley
Enthusiast
mkelley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and iPad
iBooks. Kindle doesn't have collections, so it's out and Stanza doesn't work properly for me (my ePub paragraphs aren't indented and there is a space between them). iBooks has absolutely everything I need in reader software (and I use Calibre to convert anything I need to ePub, including Mobi).

(Oh, I should mention I mostly read on my iPad -- can't quite understand anyone who reads very much on their iPhone, although I do keep a book or two there for emergencies like having to wait at the doctor's office).
mkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
I use following:

iBooks (for ePubs)
Kindle (for Kindle content)
GoodReader (for PDF)
FDX Reader (for final draft screenplays)
BookMan (for GN)

This clearly shows how much dependent I am on iOS devices. Cannot move or even like any other things.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I use iBooks now. I use Calibre server...and just click a web link and "open in iBooks". Very easy. No need to sync with iTunes. Now has nightmode!

I use Kindle app too. Nice thing there is that I can read a book via my work computer's browser (for those I need a "quickie break" opportunities).

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
iBooks all the way
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm still using the half broken Stanza on my iPhone, but sooner or later I will update my iPhone from 3GS to 5 when its released next year and then, there will have to be something else to read with.
Just to make it explicit, while there was a period when Stanza didn't work with iOS 5, to everyone's surprise there was an update and it remains possible to use it with the current iOS 5.0.1, so you could remain with it when up do update.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
iBooks for me. Syncs sideloaded books across devices and works very well for me as a book reader.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I use Kindle for Amazon mobis and GoodReader for PDFs. This is because the mobis I buy at Amazon are books that would not be readable on my Opus e-ink reader because they have illustrations (training books about software mostly). For ordinary mobi or epub ebooks, I just use my Opus.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
iBooks
Goodreader
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I've been using blio for epub and goodreader for pdf. blio I also use ebook search for accessing my calibre server.

blio seems to do a decent job honoring formatting and has a built-in dictionary. If bluefire gets a dictionary ti may become my preferred reader but for now it's blio.
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Just to make it explicit, while there was a period when Stanza didn't work with iOS 5, to everyone's surprise there was an update and it remains possible to use it with the current iOS 5.0.1, so you could remain with it when up do update.
Its unlikely that it will continue to work through the next iteration of the OS (5.1 betas are already in the hands of the developers, but Amazon has no intention of updating Stanza). When the next iPhone version is released, it will have whichever OS is current at the time, and its unlikely that stanza will work with that.