Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
mopping five
Enthusiast
mopping five doesn't littermopping five doesn't litter

Device: nook
I Think My nook's Got A Gremlin

Odd little things happen and they (mostly) haven't happened more than once.

The thing has turned itself off twice.
The touch screen has suddenly come on when nobody is touching it and it's sleeping in airplane mode.
Once the screen showed a white, ghostly version of the text from the previous page. Turning more pages didn't fix it. Rebooting did.
Last night, after sideloading a couple of books, all the books in the B&N folder disappeared. They came back when I rebooted.
Twice the screen saver changed itself during a sleep period.
The main screen on the touch screen has come on suddenly when a sleeve has brushed the very bottom, but often when I tap the 'n' nothing happens. If I keep tapping it in different ways, eventually it'll work. I may not have the right touch yet for that.

I got this on August 31, so it's quite new. I've been using it a [I]lot[/].

So here's my question (see? I DO have one!)

Should I take it back or are these just normal(ish) glitches? Does the nook benefit from a burn-in time, like new computers do? Are these little gremliny things a sign that it might totally stop working in a month or so?

Ok, that's more than one question.
mopping five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
I would take it back and get a new one. Mine worked great from the beginning. Remember not to get it wet or it will multiply
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
Yeah, that's totally weird. Call B&N and tell them to send you a new one. Your nook should be a gremlin-free zone!
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
mopping five
Enthusiast

I'm SO glad to hear this!

Sometimes new electronics are just...buggy and the nook hasn't been out long at all.

I'll be at a B&M B&Ns tomorrow, maybe they'll let me trade there.

Thank you!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopping five View Post
The touch screen has suddenly come on when nobody is touching it and it's sleeping in airplane mode.
[snip]
Twice the screen saver changed itself during a sleep period.
If this only occurs a few times a day, it's normal. The NOOK will occasionally come out of Sleep Mode to "phone home" for an automatic "Check for new B&N Content". In particular, it's checking to see if new periodical issues are available.

This is also the reason that the screen saver changes during Sleep Mode. When the NOOK wakes up and goes back to sleep, the screen saver changes.

Obviously it can't phone home if it's in Airplane Mode, but it wakes up anyway. My guess is that it can't check to see if airplane mode is on while it's asleep.

If it's doing this a lot, that's a cause for concern. A few people have reported their NOOKs automatically doing repeated wake/sleep/wake/sleep cycles, resulting in a rapid discharge of the battery.

Quote:
often when I tap the 'n' nothing happens. If I keep tapping it in different ways, eventually it'll work. I may not have the right touch yet for that.
The "n" key does not respond to a single "tap". It responds to either a "touch" (touch it for a couple of seconds), or to a double-tap.

Last edited by Doug Pardee; 09-12-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
mopping five
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
The "n" key does not respond to a single "tap". It responds to either a "touch" (touch it for a couple of seconds), or to a double-tap.

The reason I used the word 'tap' is because that's the word they use in the manual, touching is what I do. Or pressing, if I'm frustrated or forget it isn't helpful.

Thanks for explaining the way it tries to 'phone home' even in airplane mode, Doug. That makes sense.

I exchanged it today and so far the 'n' has been fine; likely I won't have trouble with this one. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
mopping five
Enthusiast

Just thought I'd update.

I've had my replacement nook for a couple of weeks now, and I've had no trouble whatsoever with it.

so yay!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Just thought I'd update.

I've had my replacement nook for a couple of weeks now, and I've had no trouble whatsoever with it.

so yay!
Ahhh very good, glad to hear everything worked out. Yeah the unfortunate side of electronics are lemons do show up from time to time.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote