Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
emes71
emes71 began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
New firmware 0.35a

New firmware for Jetbook
ftp://custftp:FQSswyvGQ20So@ftp.ecta...L04-v0.35a.exe
emes71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Anyone have any clue what this changes?
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
Anyone know if this is a beta or a full release? It's not yet listed among the downloads on jetbook.net.

Larry
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Installed on 2 jetbooks ok, but have not yet figured out what changed.
But then I have not tried to load a DRM'd book.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
This firmware adds Adobe Digital Editions DRM support. With that support we get TOC in our epubs. I was able to authorize my jetBook with Adobe Digital Editions and I have tested with a couple of Library books and works ok. The Adobe Mobile Reader is version 9.0.26696

However, there is no dictionary with epubs in this firmware release (probably since they open with the adobe viewer instead of fbreader). We also lose the left and right arrow buttons for page turns in epubs.

The mobi and fb2 formats use fbreader so looks pretty much the same as the previous firmware for those formats... with no TOC but with dictionary support.

I was able to hack the firmware/adobe viewer to have a user cusomizable userStyle.css like the Sony's do (and like I did for my pocketbook360). Custom fonts work ok, but text-align and margins don't work. I haven't been able to fix the horrible margins on the 2 library books I currently have checked out (the margins get gigantic as I increase the font).... but I can fix the margins on both my PB360 and PRS-300 with a userStyle.css file so it appears to be either the Adobe Reader version or the jetBook implementation of it.

I would say that if you want to checkout library books without stripping DRM, this is probably the firmware to use for now.... otherwise might want to wait for an official version.

If there is any interest I can post my hacked version of the firmware somewhere for people to play with using the userStyle.css file.

Last edited by tselling; 06-05-2010 at 10:37 PM.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
This firmware was out months ago!

*ducks* OK, so it wasn't that funny.

I didn't particularly like ADE on the jetBook-->Libre firmware experiment I tried. Anyone know whether a) it is possible to backflash to 0.33g or b) if ADE displays the page numbers on the sides as usual? Also, I was seeing a problem with image sizes on the Libre firmware... images zoomed with the text and were only reasonably sized if the text was super tiny. If I had the text at a normal reading size the images were enormous. Like I want a full-screen of someone's nose...
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
All that I need from the new firmware is the option to close up the atrociously wide line spacing.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
This firmware was out months ago!

*ducks* OK, so it wasn't that funny.

I didn't particularly like ADE on the jetBook-->Libre firmware experiment I tried. Anyone know whether a) it is possible to backflash to 0.33g or b) if ADE displays the page numbers on the sides as usual? Also, I was seeing a problem with image sizes on the Libre firmware... images zoomed with the text and were only reasonably sized if the text was super tiny. If I had the text at a normal reading size the images were enormous. Like I want a full-screen of someone's nose...
The images do still have a problem, but I think it can be solved with modifying the userStyle.css file... but would have to see the specific file to be certain. I seem to have my margin problems solved and I am able to set line height so not so much in between the lines. I also like have a Table of Contents to get right to the first chapter of a book. All in all with 35a and my hack for a user accessible/modifyable userStyle.css file its making reading on the jetbook much more enjoyable.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
tselling
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
All that I need from the new firmware is the option to close up the atrociously wide line spacing.
Since Epubs are using Adobe's mobile reader you shouldn't see that anymore with epubs. And I am able to set the spacing I want since I can modify userStyle.css.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
tselling
Addict

My hacked version is here:
http://drop.io/jetbookHackADE The file is jetBook_v35a2.zip

Firmware Version 35a allows you to not have to strip DRM from your ADOBE DRM'd Epubs to read them on your jetBook. Remember you need to authorize your jetbook with Adobe Digital Editions on your PC before you can read DRM'd epubs. And with my hacked version, you can modify the stylesheet to make changes to how the EPUBs (DRM'd and not) are displayed.

Note that I only changed the following bytes of the adobe mobile reader with a hex editor:
res:///adobe/pxf/userStyle.css
to
res:///mnt/flash/userStyle.css

Then I created userStyle.css in the top directory of the jetbook internal memory. I also created a fonts directory in the top directory of the jetbooks internal memory and added the fonts referenced in my stylesheet. If you want to try changing fonts, line spacing, margins, etc... first try my version as is to see how it works... then I would suggest not changing too much at one time in userStyle.css. Cascading stylesheets are really not my field but I managed to get things pretty much looking the way I want them to.

Last edited by tselling; 06-08-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Can you get custom fonts this way?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
tselling
Addict

Yes, for epubs. If you download my zip file, I included my userStyle.css and some fonts in the fonts directory. If you take a look at the userStyle.css file, you can model from it to add your own fonts. But I would try mine first so you can see it working first.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #13
marcinb
marcinb began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook, Pocketbook IQ 701 also Sony TH-55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
My hacked version is here:
http://drop.io/jetbookHackADE The file is jetBook_v35a2.zip
Finally I have serif fonts, at least in epubs but without national (polish) characters, "?" instead of them.

Any solution?

Thanks
marcinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
tselling
Addict

I am guesing your current font doesn't support Polish letters.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
marcinb
marcinb began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook, Pocketbook IQ 701 also Sony TH-55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I am guesing your current font doesn't support Polish letters.
Font were copied from working system.

Similar effect when using Alutrek firmware.

Anybody using non Latin1 fonts got this working?
marcinb is offline   Reply With Quote