Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Could somebody help me try the attached PDF??

I think DR 1000s is more flexible to read PDF file. However, considering its big price, I have to make a decision between DR and DX.....

What I am concerning is that I mainly use the device to read academic papers, however, the font size of PDF can be adjusted on the DX (at least currently), so could somebody kindly help me try the attached PDF file and take some pictures if possible? The file has small font size, two columns, and small blank margin, which is very difficult to display.

The DR 1000s seems dislay very well, so how well on the DX???????

Thanks very very much.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf try.pdf (319.7 KB, 484 views)
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Here you go. This is smaller text than most pdf's, but I still find it readable, especially in landscape mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	try-portrait.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	30745   Click image for larger version

Name:	try-landscape.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	30746  
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi tklaus, yap, that looks good and thank you very much. Your help is a big favor for me. I think many people is making their decision and evaluate how well the PDF materials can be displayed on the DX. Could you kindly try another attached file that is very standard for most of academic papers in AI, I mean, if time is good for you. Thanks very much.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf try2.pdf (726.8 KB, 340 views)
Old 06-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
tklaus
Connoisseur

Sure, here you go. I also included a cropped section at full resolution so you can see the detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	try2-portrait.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	30775   Click image for larger version

Name:	try2-landscape.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	30776   Click image for larger version

Name:	try2-full.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	30777  
Old 06-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
yingwu
Addict

tklaus, you are so kind. I think it is readable!! Sorry, I just notice that the second file has 47 pages. Thanks a lot. your help is very important for me.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
tklaus
Connoisseur

You're welcome! The papers were interesting too
Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
yingwu
Addict

In the area of AI. Enjoy it

This is the reason I am planning to buy a e-reader that I had wanted to have one from my PhD.

Do you think it could be used in academic reading? Unfortunately, what a pity is that the DX has no highlight.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
tklaus
Connoisseur

I bought my DX primarily for academic reading (computer science and CCD astronomy). My plan was to continue using my K1 for recreational reading, but I've found that I enjoy that more on the DX as well. The big screen is seductive! I wish the pdf navigation features in the DX were better (table of contents and clickable links within the document), but it's still much better than my old practice of printing out pdfs to read them away from the computer. I hope that Amazon will improve the pdf features via firmware updates, but if not, the DX will hold me over until the Plastic Logic readers come out next year.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I imagine you might get better results with PDFs like the first one if you ran it through PaperCrop or something similar first, though with the bigger screen, it might not even be necessary.

You guys are making me wish I had waited and bought a DX...
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote