Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Spotted: Gosund GS601 e-reader from China

If you can't count anymore on getting special attention by waving around a mainstream e-book reader, how about you try this little beauty straight from China. Dubbed GS601 E-ink, it looks different from any other reading device I've seen so far. Aside from that, the specs look rather mundane:
  • Display: E Ink, 6-inch 800x600
  • Size (in mm): 160x116x9
  • Weight: 1kg (if true, it'd make it the heaviest e-book reader ever)
  • Internal Memory: Flash?
  • External memory: 1GB-16GB
  • Connectivity: USB 2.0
  • Battery: Lithium-Polymer 3.7V 1000mA
  • Lifetime: "up to 20hrs" reading time or 16hrs audio playback
  • Formats supported: TXT, DOC, PDB, PDF, JPG, BMP, MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC, AAC, WAV, OGG

When I tried to figure out the price through the order page, it would say zero yuan, so it doesn't seem to be available yet. Or, it's just a very good price.

Link to the product page: GS601 E-ink

Thanks to Lee for the tip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GS601 300.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	36977  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
1kg? Wow! Reading a book becomes a workout!
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
About 5 times heavier than the avarage e-reader.... Looks nice, but, as you said, not spectacular in specs.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I will take it for 0 Yuan. Ok, maybe 5 Yuan, cash.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I like the way that they make it seem more impressive by giving the storage capacity in words as opposed to books.

Shame that it doesn't really support many formats...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
the battery life seems low, compared to current tech.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
the battery life seems low, compared to current tech.
20 hours? It's pretty long. You read how many pages per minute?

20 hours is 1200 minutes. Let's say you read 3 pages per minutes, so, it will give you about 4000 pages. I've yet to time my Mini, so I've no idea how many pages I'll get out of one charge (they say 8000 I believe)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Let's say you read 3 pages per minutes
3 page per minute? Gosh! Either you are a speed reader or you use a large font size. I don't think I can get much more than 1 page per minute.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Either way I rather have a battery capacity in hours (with let say one page turn every 50s) than in "continuous page turn" like almost all current devices.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
20 hours? It's pretty long. You read how many pages per minute?

20 hours is 1200 minutes. Let's say you read 3 pages per minutes, so, it will give you about 4000 pages. I've yet to time my Mini, so I've no idea how many pages I'll get out of one charge (they say 8000 I believe)
I get twice that with my reader. I've been reading on it, for a week solid since my last charge, and it just now says it is at three quarter charge. I've probably gone close to that 20 hour limit in that time.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Morken
Morken doesn't litterMorken doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, future plastic logic owner
There may be a connection between the good price and its weight.?. So: if the weight goes down, the price goes up. Hurray for heavy readers!!
Morken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
If the image is not photoshopped, this would be the first ereader with a glossy screen (all the others are matt). Thats going from the reflection.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
1kg seems unrealistic! Perhaps with AC adaptor.
The only way it could be 1kg is if it was made out of plain steel.
1kg is the weight of a milk carton, and usually 3 of these devices would fit in that space.

I'd set my bets on 1lbs (approx 0,46Kg).

Also, I use 8pt as font size, and rather read 1 page every 3 minutes,than 3 pages every minute!
1page per minute seems realistic. It could also depend on formatting and layout!
One block of text could be harder to read than poems written centered on the screen,with a 100pix border.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #14
ZJH
Hanlin Agent in Singapore
ZJH began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
1Kg is either the total weight of the whole product package, or typo.
ZJH is offline   Reply With Quote