Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
sstickeler
sstickeler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there a downside to Turbo Mode?

I am loving Turbo Mode in FBReader. It makes such a huge difference. I'm just wondering why there is an option to turn it off. Are there side effects to having it enabled such as battery life, etc?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
As pointed out by quickhand in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
I believe, and LunohoD will correct me if I'm wrong, that turbo mode is a horrible horrible hack that should be ignored (and probably removed in upcoming versions). I believe that LunohoD just hasn't gotten around to getting rid of it.
To which Lunohod replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Yes, turbo mode is a terrible hack and it is too hard to make it work properly.

I won't remove it and I hope that jekhor won't purge the underlying kernel code.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 07-13-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
It may be a terrible hack all right, but why? What exactly makes it 'terrible'?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
sstickeler
sstickeler began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't really care if it is a "hack". It works fine for me. So far I still haven't heard a reason why I should ever disable it.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Problem with Turbo mode is that it messes up the menus (at least it happens to me).

Try this: Read some pages in Turbo Mode. Press the menu key and the menu is garbled. If you hit cancel and then menu again, it shows the menu correctly, but not the first time.

Anyway, this is not an issue for me. I open a book, put Turbo on, and just read that book until I finish it. Then back to the main menu, open another book, Turbo on and read it until I finish and so on. I don't use anything else ;-)
Advert