Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
LuceBianchi
LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Getting into Tolkien - finally

Okay, so I tried reading The Two Towers when I was in high school. The narrative style just threw me out of the story. It was all dialogue, the characters discussing it after the fact. At least, that's what I remember.

So, now I'm trying again, this time starting with The Fellowship of the Ring. And it's holding my interest! Woo!

Just at the part where the hobbits are departing from Tom Bombadil's cabin. Sure, not far in, but better than before, and still interested. ^_^
LuceBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Welcome to the world of Tolkien. Why did you start with the Two Towers previously? Being the second part of the story, I imagine that would have made it very confusing indeed.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
LuceBianchi
LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
I didn't know it was part 2.

It wasn't so much confusion that put me out as the way the story was being told. So, I'm trying again from part 1. :P

Found a really nice deal on B&N. $10 for an ebook of the three parts, plus maps and other supplemental material. The print edition from the same publisher is $52.

So, $10 + tax later, I had me a big ebook. Yay.

It's $9 on Amazon for the same thing, but I use a Nook 1st edition. I don't mind paying a little bit more to help my favorite brick-and-mortar store.
LuceBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The Two Towers was possibly the hardest to read of the three books, IMPO. I think that you will find it easier to follow after the Fellowship.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuceBianchi View Post
Okay, so I tried reading The Two Towers when I was in high school. The narrative style just threw me out of the story. It was all dialogue, the characters discussing it after the fact. At least, that's what I remember.

So, now I'm trying again, this time starting with The Fellowship of the Ring. And it's holding my interest! Woo!

Just at the part where the hobbits are departing from Tom Bombadil's cabin. Sure, not far in, but better than before, and still interested. ^_^
Interesting. I tried reading the Hobbit in high school and found it totally boring, but when I read it in college, I loved it.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
LMSherwin
LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
SO glad you are finally getting into Tolkien! I LOOOOOVE Tolkien's stuff, but when I was a kid, I wasn't too terribly impressed with THE HOBBIT. It wasn't until I read THE LORD OF THE RINGS in high school, that I was able to go back, read THE HOBBIT, and love it, too! :-)
LMSherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Hobbit is a children's story and written in a particular style that teenagers probably think is too young for them.

Best read out-loud to an 8-10 year old, IMO!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote