Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
text problems Sigil?

I compiled an epub using Sigil, the file passed validations on Apple, Lulu, Amazon etc. I'm looking at the book on my IPad and I see in the TOC there are periods after titles of certain chapters. I looked in the content.opf and the toc.ncx but do not see the periods. The actual chapter pages do not have the periods only the doc does, see the screenshot, any help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	periodsEpub.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	90361
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sounds like another iBooks quirk.
How does it look in ADE?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Not good, does not playback, keep i mind this is a Fixed Layout Read Aloud Book, I tried validating it ion Lulu and Kindle did not pass. Looks great on IPhone and iPad.

( just so you know I'm referring to the book "The baby's Own which is a read aloud book sold in the IBook Store.

RD
Old 08-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, it is a fixed layout ebook with audio. Then you are a bit out luck with Sigil, since it doesn't support epub3 yet.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It won't validate anywhere other then iBookstore as it's non-standard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
ralphiedee
Zealot

Guys I have some mixed replies as I had two posts and when I replied to one it was wrong so just to re cap here is my problem.

ralphiedee
text problems Sigil?
I compiled an epub using Sigil, the file passed validations on Apple, Lulu, Amazon etc. I'm looking at the book on my IPad and I see in the TOC there are periods after titles of certain chapters. I looked in the content.opf and the toc.ncx but do not see the periods. The actual chapter pages do not have the periods only the doc does, see the screenshot, any help?
Click image for larger version

Name:	periodsEpub.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	90370

How do I correct as the client sees the periods but only in the toc.

any help?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you post a sample ePub that shows this error?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

And, again, how does this file look in ADE?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
ralphiedee
Zealot

File looks fine in ADE but I can't get ADE to show a toc.

file attached

10__1_Secrets_Of_Money_8-8-12_R.Money.epub
Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think it's fairly safe to say that Sigil isn't adding any random periods to ToC entries.

EDIT: and the TOC for your attached ePub shows up fine in ADE for me (with no periods).
Also, since fixed-layout read-aloud ePubs (whatever that may entail) are not standard ePubs by any means... I sincerely doubt you'll be able to open them in Sigil without breaking some of that non-standard functionality. Perhaps you should be looking at the iBooks authoring software for that sort of thing?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-08-2012 at 05:59 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
ralphiedee
Zealot

OK thx for this but it is not a fixed layout epub, so I see periods after some of the titles in the TOC while looking at the epub on an IPad AND iPhone, but do not see the periods in the TOC inside ADE either so if it's not Sigil then what is the problem?

client is a bit irate over this.

Anyone?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiedee
so if it's not Sigil then what is the problem?
It was mentioned above: probably one more quirk of iBooks.

I noticed from the image that iBooks is apparently generating page numbers to go along with the ToC entries, so there's obviously some extra stuff being generated that's not part of the NCX file. Perhaps someone in the "Workshop" forum or the general "ePub" forum (or even the Apple devices forum) has run into the issue and knows a work-around? Nothing in your attached ePub looks out of order to me.

EDIT: just to be clear... we are talking about the periods showing up in the iBooks app on the iPad, right?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Well, gang, this ePUB doesn't have periods in it when I look at it on my iPad in ibooks (just to make Wolfie happy).

HOWEVER, I suspect that this is a Calibre problem, as apparently you're charging people to make ePUBs with CALIBRE?

You may also wish to tell your client that the average e-reading person does NOT like either block paragraphs or all-centered paragraphs. I assume you already know that your ul's are centered, not aligned?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I cannot believe you are charging people for that.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There are no periods in the titles in the book. iBooks is obviously adding them on its own on lines with more than one word (not capitalized). Note that only "Dedications", "Introduction" and "Final Words" have no period. Try changing "Money loves to flow" to "Money Loves to Flow" (or maybe "Money Loves To Flow").
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote