Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Metal case for reader with Neoprene inside - on eBay

just saw this on eBay....cost $24.95 plus shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Titanium-eCaddy-...QQcmdZViewItem

Appears to be a metal box like a DVD case with a neoprene lining.... I guess it is for those wanting a ready-made hard case for their Sony reader....

see this thread also for making your own case...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=metal+dvd

Last edited by gardenstate; 11-20-2007 at 10:37 AM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have a "soft" case of neoprene and rip stop nylon with a plastic insert in the flap over the screen. Great protection. This should work well too. It looks like an old DVD case (the kind Disney used) with an insert.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
The ebay one looks to be excatcly what I've been looking for to protect my 505 reader when carrying it around in my brief case (broke my 500 that way). I ordered it and will let you know what I think when I get it.

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
shondark
shondark began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thx. i'm really interested too in a case like this. I've found a shop that sells only the case, for the US and Canada
http://www.effectuality.com/store/it...tore/us/lng/en

And this other shop is in the UK and is useful for the people in the UK, they send to other countries but the shipping is really expensive for several countries, including Spain.

http://www.rivierapublishing.co.uk/a...g/CD_Tins.html

Anyone knows where I can buy neoprene or something to soft the case?
shondark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
kjn24
Enthusiast
kjn24 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about, but this site:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/neoprene.html

seems to have a large selection of neoprene. I believe the person on ebay was selling them for $24.95. Sounds like a great profit to me! Ebay also has a fabric cover:

http://tinyurl.com/2puqms

but that seems more decreative then protective.
Kathy
kjn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Greg G
Groupie

The cost of the tin may be $1.25 but shipping is $14 to me so that would be $15.25. If you buy 10 then you shipping only goes up $1 so buying a bunch and making them for selling on ebay is a great idea. I'm willing to pay the extra $9.75 to not have to mess with making it. Hopefully it will do the job for me.

-Greg
Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
coopervanning
coopervanning began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
Back up on ebay so I snagged one.
coopervanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shondark View Post
Thx. i'm really interested too in a case like this. I've found a shop that sells only the case, for the US and Canada
http://www.effectuality.com/store/it...tore/us/lng/en

And this other shop is in the UK and is useful for the people in the UK, they send to other countries but the shipping is really expensive for several countries, including Spain.

http://www.rivierapublishing.co.uk/a...g/CD_Tins.html

Anyone knows where I can buy neoprene or something to soft the case?
I bought a similar product (DVD tin case metal) and I am not sure whether it is recommendable for Sony reader.
First, PRS 505 will not fit in with its cover on. PRS 505 may fit in without the cover, but I did not try this since I would like to use the cover.
Second, the tin case is not as sturdy as I would have hoped. I can feel the case bends at the pressure of my fingertips. It looks pretty good in picture but I don't think it will offer strong enough protection to carry it in a bag with lots of other stuffs.

Last edited by soilwork; 11-25-2007 at 05:08 AM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #9
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopervanning View Post
Back up on ebay so I snagged one.
So did I. Hopefully it'll suit me until I find something better.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
coopervanning

Got mine today and it is what I was looking for. A little on the light side but perfect for protecting my reader when I throw it in my bag
Old 12-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #11
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Mine hasn't arrived yet. Will the Reader fit inside with the cover on?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
coopervanning

My 500 did fit inside with the cover on
Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
Ozric
Zealot

Then I suspect my 505 will fit inside as well. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #14
Ozric
Zealot

Mine arrived today, though I'm at work and won't get to actually insert my Reader inside it until I get home. The construction is a little flimsier than I was hoping, even though I knew it wasn't actually titanium. But really it just needs to give the Reader some protection inside my carry-on bag when I travel later this month, and I'm sure it will be adequate for that.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
Greg G
Groupie

I got mine the other day. It does what I wanted and fits the 505 with cover on. The key for me is that it is still small (smaller than the Kindle ) but much better protected. The person did a good job putting it together. It is not something that you can stand on or anything but for $25 it does a nice job of protecting our $300 toy.

-Greg