Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Doggone those coordinating conjunctions!

Well, I still tried to update, but nothing. (My unit is 2/3 charged, so I just now plugged it in to have a full charge.)

But...I was playing around with it, presssing the "Power" and the "right arrow" button, but nothing was happening except the unit would turn on and then go off.

I'll wait until it's fully charge and try again.

Don
Try pushing the reset button, which is in the small hole on the back of the unit, before you start. I've had to do this before.

The update does handle HTML now! My EZ Reader with the LBook and Open Ink Pot firmware handles HTML well. The Astak firmware doesn't do HTML very well. That means that I can go from ereader to reading in one step! I no longer have to go thru Calibre. One format that works well on my main two readers is a good thing!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Instructions from jetBook.net have the reset button as the first step.

Is it just me, or did we lose a font size option? Can anyone with the older firmware check to see how many font sizes there are? I thought I remembered 7, but with 33c I have 6.

Also, I still have an 80% zoom option on PDF's, contrary to what another member reported prior to release.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #18
alxab
alxab began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
Unicode support

Can anyone confirm that the new FW can now handle Unicode (UTF-8) encoded text?
Thanks.
alxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ok, here's some weird news: The reset button does nothing. (And I'm pushing hard, too.) I'm quite familiar with reset buttons. (Argggh!!!)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #20
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
One quick push of the reset button with a paper clip is all you need. If you read my notes that I posted recently about firmware upgrading, you shouldn't have any problem.

As for the 80% zoom in PDF that Kralik mentioned, it is possible that the released firmware is different than what I have, despite having the same version number. It has been 2-3 weeks between my installing the beta firmware and its release today. I'll have to flash today's version and compare.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
As for the 80% zoom in PDF that Kralik mentioned, it is possible that the released firmware is different than what I have, despite having the same version number. It has been 2-3 weeks between my installing the beta firmware and its release today. I'll have to flash today's version and compare.
80% is ridiculously tiny anyway. I'd love to be able to have a custom setting where you input the zoom %.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #22
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Well, I'm not sure what else it does, but I just loaded up 33c, and opened a 1500+ page text file (Atlas Shrugged) ran a word search to find my place around 300 pages in, and resized the text.

That would have taken several minutes to reflow before, now it did it in a couple of seconds! And the word search took a few seconds for the first find, then one or two seconds for subsequent finds. I'm impressed!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #23
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
What is the whole "reflash_nor" thing?
Also why is there a wifi test option on the menu where you choose to reflash the nor? (the jetbook doesn't have wifi)
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #24
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham88 View Post
What is the whole "reflash_nor" thing?
Also why is there a wifi test option on the menu where you choose to reflash the nor? (the jetbook doesn't have wifi)
It is a two part flash procedure. You have to do both. As for the WiFi menu option, I mentioned that long ago. Perhaps Ectaco will have a model with WiFi some day.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #25
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I am rather disappointed that both mobi and epub files still only display by filename. There doesn't seem to be a way to sort by author or title even with the new firmware. Or am I missing something?

Also table of contents still doesn't work :-(
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #26
boating
boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Is it just me, or did we lose a font size option? Can anyone with the older firmware check to see how many font sizes there are? I thought I remembered 7, but with 33c I have 6.
nope, there are only 6:
12, 16, 18, 20, 24, 32
boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #27
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boating View Post
nope, there are only 6:
12, 16, 18, 20, 24, 32
Welcome to MR, boating, and thank you for posting an answer.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I now have the new firmware on my Jetbook.

Here are some observations:

1) Some .prc files that previously displayed garbage are now displaying correctly.

2) Justified text loses its setting and reverts back to left-justification if you leave that and open another text. Previously, everything worked ok.

3) The big, big disappointment: Many, many TXT files (the freebies that came on the Jetbook) now have all paragraphs into one big paragraph. This was one of the beauties of the Jetbook, in that TXT files could just be copied and pasted into the Jetbook's memory or onto a card.

-----

I may go back to the original firmware (if that's possible), or wait for a Patch to this version.

Anyone else noticed these issues I've mentioned?

I want to especially thank jgray and Kris77 for their help and advice. Also, a special 'thank you' to all the other Jetbook owners who also think this Reader is a very neat Reader, indeed!

(Now, just make .lit files accessible....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #29
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I am rather disappointed that both mobi and epub files still only display by filename. There doesn't seem to be a way to sort by author or title even with the new firmware. Or am I missing something?

Also table of contents still doesn't work :-(
I emailed Ectaco a while back with a suggestion that they implement the use of the metadata that is in mobi, epub (and fb2?) and provide an option on how to sort the list.

As for TOC, that needs hyperlinks, which is not implemented in the firmware. I had also emailed a lengthy suggestion about how to implement hyperlinks so that they would be easily usable with the existing button arrangement.

When of if anything is done about either of my suggestions remains to be seen. I certainly hope that the hyperlinks get implemented.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #30
boating
boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Welcome to MR, boating, and thank you for posting an answer.
Thanks! I've been lurking for a while, and just got my Jetbook a week ago! So far I love it, but what would make me love it more is a Serif font! I've experimented with creating PDF's for it with the font I like, but I'm not having too much luck yet. I don't want to go off topic though-- with that said, I'll probably flash my firmware later today.
boating is offline   Reply With Quote